Weirdest puter-related thing that happened to you?

Ropera

Here is mine:

The computer was located on the floor, just in front of me.

I was burning a CD when suddenly the CD drive started making a loud noise. Then, the tray literally exploded and a piece of the CD disk, which had been shattered to pieces, went through my blue jeans and got got stuck in my leg (it was a small cut thou).

When I put a new CD drive I found out that it was attached by only 2 screws on one side. Probably that made the drive vibrate excessively when running at high speed, which, in turn, caused the accident.

similar incident happened to my oldest cd-rom

it was mitsumi or something crappy like that

i had put a cd in and went to my comp to browse.

it started to spin, spin, spin and eventually I heard a breaking noise.

I opened the tray and the cd was cut in half

1 part was gone inside the drive other one was still on the tray.

the wierdest computer releated thing for me was using my windows computer for 48 hours, and not a single crash or anything
I have my PCs running on Windows (2k/XP) for days on end, without any problems or memory leakages. You need to check up if there's any beta/pseudo-beta app installed, which is contributing to instability. Okay, nevermind, this thread wasn't about unstable windows.

As for the rest of you.... you aren't talking of "weird". I'd call it tragedy. My sympathies are with you. CD-drives these days.... getting too fast to spin discs without breaking, and CD-media getting too low-quality to spin fast without breaking.

Personally, I don't remember what it was that was weirdest....

Ah, when Prince 1 (on DOS, yeah LONG time ago) would start acting up. Sometimes it would start up fine, and sometimes not - was such a mystery in those days. Now I know that it was probably shortage of memory that caused it, but there you have it - my weirdest #puter-related thing that happened.

well a starting up tragedy I always encounter:

say I shutdown my pc for the night and next day I boot it up.

it always stops at the boot logo.

after restarting it again it works

any explanations?

Yes, your computer doesn't want to wake up in the morning, just like you... It sleeps just a bit more! :P

Interesting one for me (actually, a friend of mine) was related to memory.

He had to spend LITERRALY at least half an hour rebooting his machine to get it to finally boot in to Windows XP.

We tried formatting and reinstalling - that worked. For a while. Then problems anew.

He had a Seagate HDD, so I downloaded Seagate's diagnositcs. It literally simply asked if we wanted to exchange it because something was wrong. Unfortunately, the warranty was up.

So we reformat for the second time, hoping for the best. This was temporary as we wait for his new Hitachi 120GB to show up. It shows, we install it, we put Windows on it.

Everything went fine until I installed the video drivers - the whole thing died again. At this point, I'm thinking mobo or grakka. No real way to find out at the time, so we both retire to the living room to sit and wonder about it.

I'm sitting for five minutes, pondering away. Then it comes to me. I have a utility for testing RAM. What the hell, it's worth a shot, right?

So we start it up. I tell him it takes a few hours to go through it all. We head back to the living room. We're in there for another five minutes or so before my curiosity piques. I head back in.

THREE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN ERRORS!

We pull the stick out, leaving him with just 256MB.

There haven't been any problems since. Other than really slow performance...

Interesting one for me (actually, a friend of mine) was related to memory.

He had to spend LITERRALY at least half an hour rebooting his machine to get it to finally boot in to Windows XP.

We tried formatting and reinstalling - that worked. For a while. Then problems anew.

He had a Seagate HDD, so I downloaded Seagate's diagnositcs. It literally simply asked if we wanted to exchange it because something was wrong. Unfortunately, the warranty was up.

So we reformat for the second time, hoping for the best. This was temporary as we wait for his new Hitachi 120GB to show up. It shows, we install it, we put Windows on it.

Everything went fine until I installed the video drivers - the whole thing died again. At this point, I'm thinking mobo or grakka. No real way to find out at the time, so we both retire to the living room to sit and wonder about it.

I'm sitting for five minutes, pondering away. Then it comes to me. I have a utility for testing RAM. What the hell, it's worth a shot, right?

So we start it up. I tell him it takes a few hours to go through it all. We head back to the living room. We're in there for another five minutes or so before my curiosity piques. I head back in.

THREE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN ERRORS!

We pull the stick out, leaving him with just 256MB.

There haven't been any problems since. Other than really slow performance...

Man, that must suck... :lol: Just out of curiosity, what brand of computer was it, or was it custom built? :}

That's really weird - with a factor of loss of time thrown in. (NT was good - simply refuse to install on hardware it doesn't know about).

Nowadays, its custom-built PCs giving way better performance, and value for money - and OEMs provide good PCs as well, so may not really matter much.

Weridest thing to happen to me has to be the 'Frisbie of DEATH'.

I had one of the first gen high-speed drives, 48x or 52x, cant remember. Years ago those early drives (especialy the cheap ones) didnt have a mechanism to stop the cd. You hit the button, it ejected, no matter what.

Was working on something and the cd-drive went to full speed, stuff began to slowly move around my desk from the vibrations caused. Then, windows froze. Thinking it was the "new" cdrom (I had had issues with windows getting stuck durring a cd spin-up), I hit the eject button. Next thing I knew, there was a loud buzzing sound, then a THUMP, and the cd was imbeded about half-way into the wall behind me. Luckly the tower was elevated slightly and I wasnt leaning over it to hit the button, or I might be less a finger or two.

Other than the usual "I though it was a cup-holder", nothing else has been 'weird'.