For IE - how do I get "text size" setting to stay?

Professor Frink

We have new LCD monitors here, and due to the high resolution, I need to tell Internet Explorer to "Ignore font sizes specified on Web pages." Then, the default View > Text Size (medium) is too big, so I set it to smallest. But every once in a while, it goes back to medium. Is there a way to lock that in, like with a reg edit or something? And what makes it go back at all?

On a related subject -- I have already tried the registry trick to set up High Resolution in IE:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"UseHR"=dword:00000001

But then it makes Web images stretched and blurry. Is there anything to be done about that?

Or perhaps there is another solution that someone else here uses? I need to do something, because with a resolution of 1280x1024, and the default IE settings, some web pages look terrible.

jrzycrim gave me a tip that could help you aswell, check the post: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=159680

Hint: Windows XP allows you to set the write-permissions to every key in the registry.... So if anything get's reset, this could help.

Check http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245031 to see how you can batch these commands...

Good luck!

Hope this helped...

That's worth a try. This seems to be where IE font size is stored:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\Scripts\3]
"IEFontSize"=hex:02,00,00,00

You probably could set a permission to deny 'Set Value' on the key where that value is stored.

This will prevent other values in that same key to change as well, however:

"IEPropFontName" and "IEFixedFontName". there may be other values that are not present in my registry.

You might want to set these values as well before setting permissions.

This is what I did:

I set the native resolution on the monitor: 1280 x 1024

On Display Properties > Appearance I set Font Size as Large

Because I think that the font from the Title Bars is too big I entered Advanced and modified it down to 12 font.

For Explorer you can Try changing the font: Tahoma and Palatino Lynotype are the two I find better to read.

I also use the Clear Type Effects under the Appearance tab.

I don't change the DPI settings because they srew some of my programs like Dreamweaver.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having some trouble with this. I think I understand the general idea -- for example, let's say that I have all of the following files in WINNT:

regini.exe

example.bat

example.ini

I create a batch file that uses regini to call an ini file:

example.bat

c:\WINNT\regini.exe c:\WINNT\example.ini

example.ini

\Registry\Machine\Software [1 5 8]

In that example, on the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, it sets the permissions as such:

Administrators group -- Full Control

Creator/Owner group -- Full Control

Everyone group -- Read permission

Here is my problem. According to the following KB article:

Use a Script to Change Registry Permissions from the Command Line

the different registry Hives are translated as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = \Registry\Machine

HKEY_USERS = \Registry\Users

HKEY_CURRENT_USER = \Registry\User\User_SID (where User_SID is the current user's security identifier)

But the main point of this exercise for me is an HKCU registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\Scripts\3

Doesn't the SID change with every install? If so, how am I supposed to set permissions on the key in my install? Unless the SID is the same at the cmdlines.txt stage.... I don't know. :no: