AUTOPATCHER - a great utility !

Hi Amigos , For those among us who still uses SP1 and it's features , i found a great utlility that gather all the updates into 1 exe file ( which can be run fully unattended of course ..) so , here are the links - my recommendations are to download the files only with Bittorent or you will get corrupted files ...

autopatcher

Check out this folder "autopatcher_full\AutoPatcher XP\db\regundo\Appearance Tweaks " after you extract the files - it contains great reg keys

For unattended mode here are the switchs -

AutoPatcherXP.exe /unattend /nochecks /noeula

Explanation : ( copied from Autopatcher forum )

Silent Mode (a.k.a. Unattended mode)

You can use the /unattend switch when you want to make AutoPatcher XP run in silent mode, suppressing any popup windows, batch file checks or questions. However: This wont stop any other applications/installation routines from giving popups or error messages...

Also, note that when you use the /unattend switch, AutoPatcher XP will NOT unckeck any installed updates. An other thing to keep in mind, is, that since the /unattend switch makes the process completely silent, there is no way you can select what to install... This means that AutoPatcher XP will use the defaults, provided by the database file. To change that, you will have to save your own defaults BEFORE using the actual unattended procedure!

No EULA Mode

In unattended mode, the EULA is displayed because it is an agreement between us and the users. If you have read it, agreed and don't want it to show up, you can use the /noeula switch. This switch will be very useful in unattended installs...

No Batch File Checks

When AutoPatcher XP starts, it checks for the target batch files, to prevent some problems... If you want to skip these tests and make the startup procedure somewhat faster, use the /nochecks switch.

Enjoy :)

post-70-1092305900_thumb.png

Well Mazin , the latest version is 261 mb ... but you also have the ultralite version which is 85 mb and is not installs anything but the updates .

2 . Yes it is customable , here is a copy of how to customize :

Add the Custom Program files you wish to install to the "CustomProgFiles" directory.

Move the file called "My Custom Database.db" from the CustomProgFiles dir, and place it in the "db" directory.

Now, edit the file and you'll see it has been made for you. Now you need to edit the entries. For example:

<item displayName="Master 1 - Section 1 - Test 1 - A" default="True" autoExpand="True" description="Master 1 - Section 1 - Test 1 - A" uniqueID="AM1S1T1" batchID="M1S1T1" noBackupBatchID="M1S1T1" uri=""/>

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You can edit everything here.

A quick rundown of the fields:

<item displayName= - Name that will be shown in the program

Default= - Either set for True (Checked) or False (Unchecked)

AutoExpand= - Either set for True (Expand) or False (Don't expand)

Description= - Description that shows up in the program

UniqueID= - This must have a *Unique* name for each new file (Suggestion, just use

Custom1, Custom2, Custom3, etc)

batchID= - This is where you put the name of your Batch Entry.

noBackupBatchID= - This is where you type the name of the batch file you made that will be run if "No Backup" is chosen

uri= - Optional weblink, if you don't want to use it, don't add anything after the "=" sign.

You can make as many extra Custom Program entries like the one above as you need, as long as you follow the instructions given. Once you have it edited to suit your needs, save and close the file.

Once you're done editting, it should look something like this:

<item displayName="Name of Custom Program" default="True" autoExpand="True" description="Description of Custom Program" uniqueID="Custom1" batchID="Custom1" noBackupBatchID="Custom1" uri=""/>

Once you're done, it's time to edit the batch entries like so:

<batch uniqueID="M1S1T1">

ping localhost -n 20

set ERRORLEVEL=0</batch>

First, change M1S1T1 to what you labelled your batchID above.

Example, Custom1.

Next, change "ping localhost -n 20" to the name of the program with the path.

Example: {apdirectory}\CustomProgFiles\Whatever.exe

Finally, add whatever switches you are going to use.

Example: /Y /Z

(To find out what switches must be used to ensure a silent install, check the manufacturer's website, you can always "test" some switches before you use them. Some common ones for silent installs are:

/q /z

/qn REBOOT=Suppress

/q:a /r:n

/silent

/qb

/q

These are not all the switches that can be used, and I don't guarentee any of these will work with your custom install. Some programs can NOT be installed silently. I suggest you check with the manufacturer of the program to be sure.)

Now, your final Result should look something like this:

<batch uniqueID="Custom1">

"{apdirectory}\CustomProgFiles\Whatever.exe" /Y /Z

set ERRORLEVEL=0</batch>

Now, run the AutoPatcher like normal.

When you run it, it should now have all the default programs like the standard AutoPatcher, but it should now also have your custom programs at the bottom.

:) enjoy

SO I take it NO ONE searches anymore?

This has been discussed, and a simple search just now for "hotfix install" brought up a few of them.

I closed this thread, but then reconsidered and re-opened it. Don't let it turn into the last thread, where it stayed close.

Actually, I've tried Autopatcher XP many times before, thinking it was a nice way to do things (and if they maintain the patches and everything, less work/hassle for me).

Now I'm quite glad I dumped it from my unattended setup. Just about every time, some installer would come up with an error while installing, I've had some odd reboots, and lots and I mean lots of issues with it. Latest problem I've ran througn is some weird error about no localizations for my version of windows (plain US english XP Pro VLK, nothing special by any means), and no arguments (including /english) managed to make it go away. Also, startup time tends to be quite long. And now with the even of XP SP2, it brings more frustrations and problems. No matter what switches you use, it WILL nag about your computer being SP2 so you cannot have a no-nag no user intervention setup (I've tried *every* switch possible). My success rate using it to patch typical computers is below 50%. Also, they seemed to be updating it often enough before, but the last one is starting to get a bit outdated now (I'm not that much of a "gotta have the very latest build" type of person, but it's pointless having to disable more and more stuff in Ap XP because they're outdated, and have to add the newer patches to your own install script instead). I've tried changing a couple things quickly on the disc, and it turns out they got some CRC checks on the database or something (never bothered looking deeper into it), and it wouldn't run at all... Their webpage says they're working on a new version. Hopefully it will address some issues, because in my case it was far more hassle and problems than help (although I still do appreciate them trying to make a nice app to do this job)

So I took what was good from it (a couple registry tweaks that are around anyways and couple more odd things... most of stuff in it is pre-sp2 patches), and added it to my main install script. Took about an hour tops to do it all. Much faster, more customizable, and never failed so far.

ping localhost -n 20 , alternative sleep mode?

I simply don't know , sorry ,but what i do know (as you probably saw) is that it represent the Application path .... ( obviously )

Crahak - I did the same as you - took what i need in the registry dir and some updates and dump the rest . I publish Autopatcher here just because i knew that you guys will probably do some smart things with this utility .... i guess i was right :)