Unattended XP with a “Default User” profile How-To

Thx again...lucky the weather here is in super condition.

I sure do understand your point. Indeed everyone’s needs are different.

Maybe we better let this discussion die slowly…until somewhere in time it shows up again.

However, for myself I will keep exploring all the possibilities of this technique.

I go back to the pool now for some relaxation.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

VV

what a fab read and a great positive attitude to a informative debate

luv it

just wish i had u 2 techies working on my sp2 unattended hehe...

back to testing

groan

i am still here to help you and others out and i am sure greenmachine also.

Thx for the positive note.

Both methods require you to maintain them (particularly in cases such as the example GreenMachine pointed out), and both methods can be particularly messy. However, for ease of access, I'd have to say that registry tweaks are the way to go. Why? Because they don't require you to have to log into a Windows installation to edit them, practically any text editor can do it, thus, this makes them the hands down winner (in my belief).

You could use ntuser.dat from the All Users profile, however, you'd have to make your modifications on a completely clean installation of Windows, without any other software to inject itself into the profile.

It would still be a b**** to fix any mistakes up.

Hi there ppl,

Well I have been building custom SOE installations for a few years now and have used a default user profile approach, however I don't create my default user profile in the way described here.

Basically I edit the original default user profile in regedit. Now of course there are pro's and con's in this method like others, however once you do it once - you can export the entire registry settings for the default user and then in the future just add the additional changes requirements and important them.

I have spent some years playing with registry hives right back to Windows NT 3.0 (yes a dinosaur that didn't do much was it was a genesis)

I certainly don't recorded copying the current user profile to replace the default user - I have experimented with this over the years and whilst the process has become simpler and more compatible - it is not without problems - some of which have been raised in this thread.

If you would like to have a go at editing the default user NTUSER.DAT profile hive - See my guide here for some ideas on the simplest method I have found.

if you would like some more information - please let me know...

Felix

I use multi-Profiles for logon. Like a profile for gaming where most services and hardware are disabled. Is a method available to save profiles as to this method or other? Does take some time setting up profiles ( 6o or so services in XP yet anything else.). Is it possible to disable startup programs in certain profiles?

let me see if i'm understanding this. in the first method, he creates a new user, then sets everything up the way he wants. these settings are saved in NTUSER.DAT plus some important bits from the profile tree, which is copied to $OEM$\$DOCS\Default User etc. etc. in the second method, you open NTUSER.DAT and edit the settings in regedit til you get them how you want them.

so excuse my newbness, but what's the difference?

and also, in the second method once you have your custom ntuser.dat, what do you do with it? put it in $OEM$\$Docs\Default User ?

Let Me Jump in here I kind on looked over the thread you have a good idea but some software even though you enable(register) it in the default profile still has to reregister to work when you make a new user,,,

Personally I only run one profile per hard drive because of the way the register works....

I create one user and forget about the the other profiles then I install all software to that profile...

OFFICE 2000 is one of those programs that gets all fubared no matter how you install it... and by all means never remove the profile that you installed it on... cause all the links are gone,,, I have played... Been there done that.. Running the repair will fix it,, but then all the links are to the profile that you run the repair on! a never ending circle..

So install everything to the default profile is not the fix and doesn't work on all programs it all depends on how that program links out into the file folders on the C:\ drive...

Mac!

Let Me Jump in here I kind on looked over the thread you have a good idea but some software even though you enable(register) it in the default profile still has to reregister to work when you make a new user,,,

Personally I only run one profile per hard drive because of the way the register works....

I create one user and forget about the the other profiles then I install all software to that profile...

OFFICE 2000 is one of those programs that gets all fubared no matter how you install it... and by all means never remove the profile that you installed it on... cause all the links are gone,,, I have played... Been there done that.. Running the repair will fix it,, but then all the links are to the profile that you run the repair on! a never ending circle..

So install everything to the default profile is not the fix and doesn't work on all programs it all depends on how that program links out into the file folders on the C:\ drive...

Mac!

Mac,

Good point, however i can tell you that if you add to the default user profile... you overcome these issues. I have tested this over many years and have resolved all issues that have come up using this method.

Felix

Mac,

Good point, however i can tell you that if you add to the default user profile... you overcome these issues.  I have tested this over many years and have resolved all issues that have come up using this method.

Felix

LOL I understand how the register links to file folders So I will never do this...

You would have to search and relink all the stuff in the register.... That is a big job

LOL Just for the heck of it sometime on a play drive swap Johns NTUSER.DAT With Bills NTUSER.DAT and watch what happens,, When you are on Bills desktop the explorer opens in Johns folders.. and visa versa,,,

Cause all the links are wrong....

Same goes when you paste a old Default User NTUSER.DAT you have unlinked stuff also when you install stuff there may be register setting saying things are installed already and that part will be skipped...

On and On I can go.................. etc etc

MaC!