Xp and networks

master_raven

Hi every one this is my first post and I hope you can help. I have several systems networked at home and I have a what should be a simple question. On my system and my wifes system I can brows her entire drive no problems. I can even hit my kids systems but on the main folders of their primary drives I can not get deeper that one folder. or any futher than the root. Eg I can copy and past things to and from my wifes desktop but not one the systems my kids are running. and we are all on the same hub and workgroup?? and yes file sharing is active and no fire walls except zone alarm and the settings are all the same on all systems for zone alarm. is it due to the fact that my wife and I have differant versions that what the kids have? theirs are of the 2600 build and ours are of the OEM varity.

TIA

they are all Xp pro the kids are using the 2600 corporate build and ours are Dell OEM's I bought off ebay. my wifes system as I said I have complete and totall access to but on the kids systems I do not a can not get into their documents and settings folder or their windows folder at all. I have looked at security settings and everything is the same I have had this issue from time to time every since Windows 311 and it has allways perplexed me. But also makes system management a pain. Now I can sit a my daughters system and look at anything on mine bt not vise versa

I think you're just experiencing problems with user rights. Try accessing the Admin share on their computers and seeing how far you can go.

If you can gain access to the admin share and continue to traverse completely through their hard drive... Then your user rights aren't set-up properly.

Admin share would be \\Computer Name\C$

interesting I tried that and got a guest logon requesting a password, that's a first. But what I don't understand is I have total access to my wifes computer yet my daughters I don't and we are on the same hub and workgroup. And as far as I am aware I did nothing different in the setup and install. So I guess I need to find out how I can change the access rights. any quick answers?

To gain automatic entry into someone's computer without logging in, you would have to add yourself (Your computer\username) to their administrative group.

You can do this to your daughter's machine by accessing 'Computer management' through Control Panel->Administrative tools. Once that is done, you can easily do the \\ComputerName\C$ and gain complete access, because windows is recognizing that your computer\username is a member of their administrative group... so it gives you access.

You can then map to this drive freely, so that a drive letter is associated with it.

There are several ways to gain entry into a computer... this is one of them. You can map single directories, and such, but you said you wanted complete access... this is the easiest way... Unless you wanted to remote into their machines with Remote Desktop Connection. Found in All Programs->Accessories->Communication.