SAV 9 - Symantec AntiVirus 9.0

prathapml

I am sorry that I am to stupid to understand this...

Don't be silly, were all here to help one another out. :)

In order for us to make the appropiate suggestions, can I confirm what stages you have already completed:

• You copied the contents of the CD to "C:\Documents and ettings\jfmccord\Desktop\SAV Corporate Edition 9.0"
  • From there you created an admin install point using "Setup.exe /A".
  • In the install point itself, you extracted the newer Virus Definitions files to "C:\Documents and Settings\jfmccord\Desktop\New Install\program files\Symantec AntiVirus\Virus Defs" replacing the existing files and are stuck at the part of integrating the patch?

If it's just the patch stage, you have done most of the hard work, you simply need to extract the patch from the zip file to the root of your install point, in your case it seems to be "..\New Install" in that folder you should have 7 sub-directories and the installer itself with a .MSI extension as far as I can remember it's called "Symantec AntiVirus.msi".

Now all you have left to do is navigate to the root of your install point and run the command kindly provided by prathapml which is as follows:

msiexec /p "SAVCE_9.0.0.1400_AllWin_EN .msp" /a "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /QB

Braking the command down, the first filename is the name of the patch file, with an .MSP extension. The second of course is the filename of the MSI installer mentioned earlier.

Note: Although there is a space between EN and .msp the above command does work provided the correct filenames are mentioned. If you have not renamed any of the above files the command will work fine, if not simply replace the filename with the ones that you are using.

I hope this solves your problem. :)

I at least got an error message now so something is going better than before. Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it. I have attached a word document with a screen shot of the error message that I receive. You can see behind it what I actually typed so that should further help with the dianostics. Thanks again.

John

Error_message.doc

Edited by jmccord

I at least got an error message now so something is going better than before.

By the looks of it, you are receiving that error message because the exact filename of the patch file hasn't been specified.

Upon looking at the extracted patch file, I have discovered an extra space at the end of the file name (just before the .MSP extension). Therefore, you can either rename the file and remove the extra space (meaning the command you entered on the Screenshot would work) alternatively enter the command, which I put in my previous post.

You should then find the patch works ok. :)

Thank you all so very much for all of your time. I do appreciate it. Cee-Kay you were right about the space. That was the reason it was choking on me. I guess I need to just slow down and pay more attention. :thumbup

So all I have to do now is copy the contents of "New Install" onto a CD and run the install from it and everything should be up to date and patched (I hope).

If you ever have a question for me... I will try my best to help you out!

Thanks again,

John

I'm currently working on a modified MSI installer, which will allow the newer LiveUpdate files (2.5) to be used instead of the older LU files included with the actual product.

Upon completion of the installer, I will test it as much as possibile before releasing it -- in the meantime if anyone wouldn't mind testing my installer once I release it, that would be a great help, just incase I've missed anything out (e.g. a customised install, installation on a server, etc).

EDIT: I have now finished work on my modified MSI installer and I am currently in the process of creating a guide for integrating LiveUpdate v2.5 into the SAV V9.0 install source.

Updates will follow...

Cee-Kay I was working on the same thing but the last couple days I haven't been able to work on it. I was going to start working on it again but you said you were working on an modified installer. I wouldn't mind testing it though. Let me know and try to help ya out. Later.

Cee-Kay I was working on the same thing but the last couple days I haven't been able to work on it.  I was going to start working on it again but you said you were working on an modified installer.  I wouldn't mind testing it though.  Let me know and try to help ya out.  Later.

Thank you for the offer it's much appreciated, as soon as I make the download availabile, everyone is certainly welcome to test the heck out of it. :)

Obviously, I hope the installer to be as error-free and possibile, but having as many testers as possibile would certainly help speed up the process of ironing out any bugs that may still exist.

No prob Cee-Kay. I want a solution for this as bad as everyone. I like things integrated as much as possible at least with software. I don't like having lots of thing jumbled around. Anyway good luck with the installer. By the way what program are using to modify the installer?

hmm sounds cool this!

BUT: i got a little prob, i miss a file in my "installer" called: Setup.exe :P

i gotted a zip with the following files in it:

"Symantec AntiVirus.msi"

further the rest of the folders are called:

Common

CommonAppData

External

Program files

Redist

System32

Windows

it works great, installing is no problem with it, but how can i slipstream this?

for updating the virus def i'll probably need to be in this folder:

"program files\Symantec AntiVirus\Virus Defs"

but is there anything else that's usefull? i already found the liveupdate folder two so maby an update there? i don't know :P

anyone?