SAV 9 - Symantec AntiVirus 9.0

prathapml

So I updated my copy of SAV 9.0.2 with the latest updates ect. When testing it still downloads what it says are 2 updates. From what I red on here that is just Symantec being lame and not knowing that I have the latest updates. XP does not tell me my definitions are out-of-date. should just ignore it and be on my merry way? It downloads Avenge 1.5 MicroDefs2 Corp 9 So I assume its just Symantec being lame. Correct???

Symantec being lame and not knowing that I have the latest updates. XP does not tell me my definitions are out-of-date.

Do you tried to manually copy virus definition files from

7zipedEXE folder \program files\Symantec AntiVirus\Virus Defs\*.*

to

C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Virus Defs\

and

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\BinHub\

and

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\20050418.008\

or whatever has it named after install ?

SAV CE 10 comes with a file called VDefHub.zip which contains the virus definitions. If a person wants updated virus defs without using the AIP method, simply download the intelligent updater from symantec. Extract virusscan.zip from the sfx file and rename it to VDefHub.zip and put in the directory with the setup files. You can make a sfx file to silently install sav like I did with the latest virus defs. This method is a lot easier than making an AIP.

That's a neat change, I have to say. That being said, I'll stick with my 12MB 7zip compressed AIP installer ;)

EDIT: Hmm, this one's at 16MB so far. Time to see if I can get it lower. Also, VDefHub.zip also exists for AIPs. I like it a LOT!

Edited by RyanVM

That's a neat change, I have to say. That being said, I'll stick with my 12MB 7zip compressed AIP installer ;)

EDIT: Hmm, this one's at 16MB so far. Time to see if I can get it lower. Also, VDefHub.zip also exists for AIPs. I like it a LOT!

Yea it is neat. Personally because I'm using an DVD for unattended winxp install, size doesn't matter for me.

SAV CE 10 comes with a file called VDefHub.zip which contains the virus definitions.  If a person wants updated virus defs without using the AIP method, simply download the intelligent updater from symantec.  Extract virusscan.zip from the sfx file and rename it to VDefHub.zip and put in the directory with the setup files.

Where can we find the latest def file?

Is it the same one as SAV9 (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html)?

Ok, I figured it out, and tested it myself. I can confirm these steps work (tested):

To Have SAV 10.0.0.359 Install Updated VirusDefs:

1) Download latest .exe file (it's in the following format YYYYMMDD-xxx-i32.exe) from: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ges/US-N95.html

2) Extract files from exe using Winrar (or any decompression untility)

3) Rename "VIRSCAN.ZIP" to "VDefHub.zip"

4) Place the newly renamed "VDefHub.zip" into your SAV source (and overwrite).

Now when SAV10 installs, it will install the updated virus defs.

Thanks to 1chaoticadult for the method!

Ok, I figured it out, and tested it myself.  I can confirm these steps work (tested):

To Have SAV 10.0.0.359 Install Updated VirusDefs:

1) Download latest .exe file (it's in the following format YYYYMMDD-xxx-i32.exe) from: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ges/US-N95.html

2) Extract files from exe using Winrar (or any decompression untility)

3) Rename "VIRSCAN.ZIP" to "VDefHub.zip"

4) Place the newly renamed "VDefHub.zip" into your SAV source (and overwrite).

Now when SAV10 installs, it will install the updated virus defs.

Thanks to 1chaoticadult for the method!

Always glad to help. I like how you put in an easy to read step-by-step method. I'm getting lazy lately so you kind of picked up my slack... :thumbup

• 2 months later...

I've had this break SAV. Here's a free Program that checks Symantec's servers for the latest updates and downloads/installs them. I run it after installing SAV10 on my unattended DVD using this:

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /V 1 /D "%SystemRoot%\system32\UpdateVscan.exe /s" /f

Cheers!

Edited by maxamoto