SAV 9 - Symantec AntiVirus 9.0

prathapml

Use "/QB" instead of "/QN" (atleast during testing). That way, you'll get an on-screen diag-box if anything is wrong during install. Do check that out and report back on what it says.

Also, you might like to un-install your current Anti-Virus, and install the SAV9 (which you are attempting to unattend) in the normal way while windows is fully operational - then you'd know if there's been any file-corruption.

Yes.

Make that entire install folder compressed into an SFX archive which silently extracts to "%SystemDrive%\install\Applications\" folder from CD. The next command after that can be to run "%SystemDrive%\install\Applications\SAV\whatever.msi /whatever".

Easy, and at the end of the process, the space SAV occupies on your CD is reduced from its original size.

prathapml which msi are you using, or how do you integrate back to the Data1.cab? After following your instructions, I get 7 folders.

If I copy the original over, it will ask for the Data1.cab rather than use the updated files in the folder. Any idea here?

:: nevermind. Figured out how to do it. When I did the setup /a, it didn't work till I did it from the cd. Then everything worked.

Also something to add. when updating the virus defs, rather than using winrar to extract, use the command line

<exe file> <folder to extract to> /EXTRACT

copy the contents of that folder to \program files\Symantec AntiVirus\Virus Defs. If it worked, you won't see an update from liveupdate

ECHO Installing Symantec AntiVirus Corp v9.0.0.1400

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\NAV\sav.msi /qn RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

ECHO Installing Virus Definitions Dated August 8th, 2004

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\NAVdefs\navupdate.exe /qb

These are the lines from my install.bat file. It loads SAV CE and the Updates without any inputs. I hope this info is helpful.

How do you get setup /a to work. When I try it only wants to upgrade my installation and then tells my that my installation is newer already and quits. Strange thing is that my SAV installed is only 9.0.0.338.

By the way: I think the updater should be installed with /q only. Perhaps it works just as well with /qb?

Best regards

Niklas

When you run "Setup /A", you shouldn't have that app installed. So un-install SAV and try again.

Hey all, LiveUpdate has been updated to v2.5 to be compatible with XPSP2. Downloadable here. In NAV, you'd simply replace the "lusetup.exe" in the setup folders to have an updated version. But here, there seems to be no way visible (yet).

Any takers for an article on how to integrate LiveUpdate 2.5 into SAV9 ? :)

couldnt you just run the install file as it only needs u to click once?

1. Demands too much effort (tried taking the file on CD to 200 PCs and clicking to update, and clicking OK, and clicking restart, and kicking the makers for having made this so horrible?)

2. It will take up too much redundant space on the unattended CD (SAV already has a version of LU right? so why not just replace it with newer one?)