How do I hack the TCPIP.SYS file?

graysky

Indeed. Wrong forum, and wrong topic. And now that I've ripped these posts out of the WIHU thread.....

did you even SEARCH? :) No you didn't. If you did, I'm SURE you would have found this thread....

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=22640 and if not that, then THIS specific post in that thread....

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=162131

You didn't even look at the first page of posts in the Windows XP forum.

Sorry guys... I searched and found this thread. I did find the thread you refernced; however, it doesn't describe how one can edit one's own tcpip.sys with a hex editor. Just that here is the edited file and copy it to here... Also, thought I was in the WinXP forum. :)

Hi all !

Probably misunderstanding here :D

I haven't used a hex editor before

I think graysky is searching for someone who explain him how to use an hex editor :):D

anyway..

where can i make a question about the patch code itself?

I would know why is changing CRC information and how? :rolleyes:

thanks bye

netquik is right... I found this link but it's unclear to me what exactly to do or even what a good freeware hexeditor might be..I assume that hex position indicates where to change the values and what to change them to, but I'd like to see it written from someone who knows. I'm also wondering about the CRC question netquik asked.

@ LvLord's page...

the 1st table only compares 4 different builds of tcpip.sys - from 4 different SPs.

OK, now the 2nd table...

The changes to make are described for each of the 4 different builds described in the 1st table.

The Position (hex) is often also referred to as the offset in hex edits. You are correct, that's where to change the values.

Now, there are 2 different sets of changes shown, plus the default/original:

- Before (10) (meaning 10 connections allowed - the default/original)

- After (50) (meaning 50 connections allowed)

- Old unlimited (meaning 16 million connections, I believe...)

Here's the hex edit part:

4 different values are shown starting at the position listed, so you are actually changing up to (note that some of the new values are not actually changed at all) 4 sequential values (@ 4 positions).

e.g. for 50 connections in build 2180;

@ 130 change 6E to 96, @ 131 change 7D to A5, @ 132 & 133 the values don't change, @ 4F322 change 0A to 32.

TU capice? :)

And, of course, if you change the file the CRC will reflect that - that's what CRC, MD5, etc. checks are for.

Indeed. Why would you want a file that has been modified to have the SAME CRC as the original? It would defeat the purpose. CRC is just a computation of buckets and hashes and what (don't know the specifics) and whenever the file changes, even a byte, the CRC will change along with.

I read all that

but my question was more technical...

@ 130-133 is stored CRC value of the file?

or it is changed only to accomplish final CRC result?

I made some tests.. but I can't understand the rule ( :) my ignorance)

I make this questiion because I would like to modify Italian file as soon as it is released..

So i think CRC will be different because of language affected code's parts.