SYSPREP fails completely

When trying to run the new SYSPREP on an XP SP2 it will keep telling me that it is not compatible.

Version numbers:

sysprep.exe 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

explorer.exe 6.0.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Any ideas???

:rolleyes::D:)

• 2 weeks later...

When trying to run the new SYSPREP on an XP SP2 it will keep telling me that it is not compatible.

Version numbers:

sysprep.exe 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

explorer.exe 6.0.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Any ideas???

The problem is solved, at least kind of.

M$ confirmed the following issue:

The new version of SYSPREP can be used with both Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP SP2. So the utility has to find out somehow if it is running on Windows Server 2003 or on Windows XP SP2.

NOW

M$ chose to ask the Server-Service (lanmanserver) what OS-Version is running.

:no::realmad:

UPDATE August 30, 2004

M$ also asks the Server-Service if it is a domain controller or not.

Well, why not check first what OS it is in registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) and then ask the Server-Service only if it is a Server....

/UPDATE

If you happen not to have 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' installed (which is pretty normal in many environments) on XP SP2, SYSPREP will bring up an error message 'There is an incompatibility between this tool and the current operating system. Unable to continue.'.

Workaround:

Make sure that in the moment when you start SYSPREP 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' is installed. While SYSPREP is running and busy installing MassStorageDrivers you remove manually 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' and 'QoS Packet Scheduler' and now you have your image the way you want it.

I verified this behaviour with both english and german Windows XP SP2 and SYSPREP.

Thanks for finding out about this irritant, and posting it here - it will be useful to the many german XP users who frequent this place. :thumbup

Actually it is a language independent problem.

It happens also with english XP SP2 and the latest english SYSPREP.

Yeah somebody else in my group came across this issue too.

@schalti  do you have a microsoft Q article that references this?

thanks!

There is no Q article yet.

I made a high priority support call two weeks ago at M$ Germany, they confirmed the issue and proposed the workaround. M$ development is currently investigating if they will release new versions of SYSPREP.exe (deploy.cab).