XP restarting over and over with sp2.

bashy

I heard about this from a few others but no one has been able to restore. Installed SP2 now windows keeps restarting OVER and OVER i can't even get into safe mode. What can i do without having to reinstall. I need all my documents and programs.

boot from cd

into recovery console

and change boot.ini remove the "NoExecute=OptIn"

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

hope this will help you

probably some program writing to xp memory and xp detects that and denies

[C0000135] - [unable to locate component]

The application failed to start up because winsrv was not found. The best solution to this problem is to reinstall the application.

Well i disabled restarting and now see this message, i DONT have any reg tweakers to cause this. Can i do a xp repair and not lose ANY of my documents?

2nd repair function?. I went ahead On the XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. selected the current installation of XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to and now its repairing!!! hope it works. I never saw 2nd repair option to reinstall JUST sp2!!!

There is no 2nd Repair Option to fix a Service Pack. There has been the 2nd Repait Option ever since Windows 2000. All it does is replace all system files with their orginals without reformating or overwriting your registry settings. All installed programs still function as before. Your machine is set back to it's orginal install and you must reinstall all patches and service packs... in this case SP2, since it now superceeds SP1a.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 873161

After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, your computer restarts continuously

SYMPTOMS

After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you are prompted to restart the computer. When the computer starts, but before you can log on, the computer begins to continuously restart.

CAUSE

This problem occurs if you have a UMAX scanner driver installed on your computer when you install Windows XP SP2.

Read the full article HERE

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 870892

Your computer repeatedly restarts, or it generates error messages when you roll back two

SYMPTOMS

When you roll back two or more device drivers by using the Roll Back Driver feature of Device Manager, your Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer may repeatedly restart, may generate various errors depending on the drivers that you rolled back, or may do both.

CAUSE

This problem occurs when the device drivers that you rolled back use some of the same system files. In this scenario, mismatched driver or miniport file versions may exist. Therefore, you may not be able to start Windows XP SP2 without any errors

Read the full article HERE

Hope this will help :)