Slipstreaming SP2 into Dell OEM cd

aresgodofwar

I did copy these files from my Corporate version of XP pro into the /I386 folder of the Dell OEM

SVCPACK DL File

SVCPACK.Inf file

...and the only error was when copying the files to the hard drive:
Setup can not copy:

msacm32.drv

this is some kind of driver file but i dont know what?

Apart from that file the install went with out a hitch :D . I will try again but deleting the file before making the .iso.

EDIT:

Apparently msacm32.drv is part of the Windows audio subsystem. msacm32

I have copied the following files from my Corporate version of XP pro into the /I386 folder of the Dell OEM and created an iso using nlite to merge it with SP2

Svcpack.dl_

Svcpack.in_

Msacm32.dl_

The merging went fine and the installation went without a hitch :thumbup I will be installing various software to test the install for stability and will report back soon.

EDIT 21-8-04

Installed various sofeware icluding Symantic anti virus Corporate 9, Sygate firewall, Acid pro 4, Daemon Tools and Creative drivers for my live drive. All without problems. :thumbup

I used the files as mentioned that I posted, and not a single error while installing, I would suggest this:

Steps to OEM Dell

1)go into I386

2)Delete SVCPACK Directory

3)Delete SVCPACK DL File

4)Delete SVCPACK.Inf file

5) Continue slipstream as normal

6)Copy my two files I posted to your i386 folder ( SVCPACK.DL_ and SVCPACK.IN_ )

7)Burn!!!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I've used long time no on the net to search for answers on how to slipstream a Dell OEM CD, but none of the sites or program used was able to do it, due to errors etc.

But, after removing following files, it (finally!) worked.

Files to be removed from Dell OEM Windows XP Professional CD (with hotfixes and/or sp1 integrated).

I386\SVCPACK

I386\SVCPACK.INF

ALL Qxxxxxx.EXE files (Hotfixes)

SP1 CDs:

I386\SP1.CAB

I386\SP1.CAT

I386\XPSP1RES.DL_

IMPORTANT!

If you don't delete ALL hotfixes (see above) and also remove svcpack directory and svcpack.inf file, no kind of slipstream apps will function. All of them will complain about the CD allready having preconfigured programs in it.

Thanks to this link for providing me with the necessary information (this took more than enough time :P)

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...&message.id=283

Cheers and good luck! :D

PS: I used nLite to slipstream and everything (Thanks guys)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks.

First post at msfn, very helpful site.

Now, I have a pre-sp1 Dell XP home edition.

In VMWARE, I have been able to get it to boot into the setup screen and copy all files without any errors but when it reboots the 'machine', the XP Home edition logo is shown for a few seconds and then it just hangs. I'll post how I got it to that phase and maybe someone else can find something to fix it. Oh and my XP is part number 3R350 if that helps in any way.

I followed instructions from the sites mentioned in this thread.

First the cd files were copied to c:\xpcd

I then deleted the svcpack folder and the files SVCPACK.DL_ and SVCPACK.INF in the folder I386.

Next i deleted the deploy.cab file in \SUPPORT\TOOLS and copied in the deploy.cab file for SP2 from the windows website (needs a genuine XP serial to download!). Got it from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Next I Extracted sp2 to folder c:\sp2 (use winrar or other archiver).

I went to the start menu>run and typed CMD

I then navigated to the I386 folder in the extracted SP2 folder by typing

cd\ <ENTER>

cd sp2\i386\update <ENTER>

update.exe /integrate:c:\sp2\

and the integration process started and finished without any error messages.

Next I copied the SVCPACK.DL_ and SVCPACK.IN_ (that SKYYPUNK so generously donated on the second page of this thread) into the I386 folder of the copied XP Home files. These are files created from a retail XP updated to SP2.

Next i navigated to the I386 folder of the extracted SP2 files and opened SP2.CAB. Sorting the files by type (I did this in winrar) I extracted the files NTKRNLMP.EXE, NTKRNLPA.EXE, NTKRPAMP.EXE and NTOSKRNL.EXE to the C:\xpcd\i386 folder. It asks if you want to copy over each of the files. Notice that the files being copied over differ in size from the ones in the SP2.CAB. For some reason the /integrate option with SP2 hasn't copied over the old NT exe files.

Then I ran nLite and ticked off all boxes in the start except CREATE A BOOTABLE ISO.

Selected the copied XP folder and created an ISO which i mounted in VMWARE.

Thanks to IDYOT on the dell forums for his tips on this page:http://vbdotnet.home.comcast.net/XP_SP2.htm

Thanks to SKYYPUNK for the SVCPACK files

As i said before, this boots into setup and copies the files over in VMWARE but stalls after XP setup reboots.

I've had success slipstreaming SP2 into Dell OEM CD's with post-release updates. It took me a littke while to find the solution. And it's really easy!

1. Delete the svcpack folder, and all files in it.

2. In the \i386 directory, delete all files called either "KBnnnnnn" or "Qnnnnnn", where n equals a number, and there are six numbers in the file name.

3. Open svcpack.inf, and delete out all references to any hotfixes to install. Save as svcpack.inf.

4. Here's the kicker - you need to makecab your svcpack.inf down to svcpack.in_. Apparently the SP2 routine requires svcpack.in_ to be cabbed, and if it finds an uncabbed one it will not install the service pack.

This has worked for me on the Dell OEM version of XP Home that shipped out with a new computer in July, 2004, just before SP2 went RTM.

I've got the pre-SP1 disc, it has a few hotfixes but completely lacks any "KBnnnnnn" or "Qnnnnnn" files in the I386 directory. I made an svcpack.in_ using 'makecab' but after i integrated sp2, i opened the svcpack.in_ file and checked its contents and they haven't changed. Also SP2 WILL NOT install if I don't delete svcpack.dl_

If i delete it along with the folder svcpack and the file svcpack.inf, the integration goes without a hitch, but the install hangs after first reboot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

After Some serious hunting and headaches I got it to work

Followed the directions given by onenetdan on this thread

[url="http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=164459&view=by_date_ascending&page=1"]http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...scending&page=1[/url]

[quote]Just do these steps in between copying your CD to the hard drive and integrating the SP2 files. I'll assume the CD was copied to C:\WIN_CD\CD.

1.) Open a Command Prompt and switch to C:\WIN_CD\CD\I386

2.) Delete these:
the 'SVCPACK' directory
Q######.EXE (these are duplicates of the files in the 'SVCPACK' directory)
SVCPACK.INF and replace it with SVCPACK.IN_ from a "non-slipstreamed/non-hotfix integrated" XP CD

3.) Edit DOSNET.INF (with notepad) and remove:
[OptionalSrcDirs]SVCPACK

4.) For each of the files below, type: makecab filename.ext

example: C:\WIN_CD\CD\I386>makecab 1394BUS.SYS

1394BUS.SYS
ACGENRAL.DLL
ACLAYERS.DLL
ACSPECFC.DLL
ACXTRNAL.DLL
APPHELP.SDB
APPS.CHM
ATAPI.SYS
AUTOLFN.EXE
D3D8.DLL
DDRAW.DLL
LOGON.SCR
MISCP.CHM
MISCW.CHM
MSIMAIN.SDB
MSTASK.DLL
MSTINIT.EXE
MUP.SYS
NTKRNLMP.EXE
NTOSKRNL.EXE
OHCI1394.SYS
PCI.SYS
SCHEDSVC.DLL
SCRNSAVE.SCR
SHELL32.DLL
SNMP.EXE
SNMPAPI.DLL
SRRSTR.DLL
SRSVC.DLL
SS3DFO.SCR
SSBEZIER.SCR
SSDPAPI.DLL
SSDPSRV.DLL
SSFLWBOX.SCR
SSMARQUE.SCR
SSMYST.SCR
SSPIPES.SCR
SSSTARS.SCR
SSTEXT3D.SCR
SYSMAIN.SDB
SYSSETUP.DLL
SYSTEM.CHM
TERMSRV.DLL
UPNP.DLL
WHATNEWP.CHM
WHATNEWW.CHM
WIN32K.SYS
WINLOGON.EXE
WSNMP32.DLL

5.) Delete the files listed above from step 4. Delete these files also:

NTKRNLPA.EXE
NTKRPAMP.EXE
REDBOOK.SYS
SPMSG.DLL
SYSCOMPONENTINFO.JS

Then continue the slipstream process. It's a pain, but it worked for me. Good luck![/quote]

This process Worked for Me..:P

I used copy/paste to make quick batch files to do the makecabing and deleteing but after i was done Autostreamer recognized it as a WinXP, which it would not ever b4 this.

Edit: My first disc Locked up on first boot, however I made a 2nd this time running the slipstream from the cmd, and deleteing the contents of $OEM$ and install and boot went flawlessly

Edited by mythbinder

[quote name='aresgodofwar' post='163553' date='Aug 10 2004, 07:40 AM']i downloaded sp2 and tried to slipstream. im getting the error 'This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates.'

thing is, there are no updates slipstreamed. and if i slipstream sp1, it works fine.

i've tried both the -s and -integrate switches.[/quote]

Hello Dear Friend,
I came across the same issue with a Dell XP CD and to bypass this problem, instead of slipstreaming SP2 directly, I suggest that you slipstream it using ' Nlite ' software ( I am sure this forum is full of Nlite related topics but for those who don't know it, here's the link [url="http://www.nliteos.com"]http://www.nliteos.com[/url] ). Why? Because ' Nlite ' conviniently removes those so called ' the integrated software updates ' from those Dell XPs and integrates the SP2 with it. Since then, this method has worked perfectly for me on all Dells and Dell CDs I have worked on.
Please try and let me know what your experience is. Thanks and good luck.
Bear