Acrobat Reader 6 Lite & Fastest :D

If you use Acrobat Reader 6 (AR6) for reading PDF file only, you can make it lite & run fastest without using any tweaking software. Below is my method:

1. Create folder named AcrobatReader 6 (or what you like)

2. Setup AR6 normally then go to folder: Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\

3. Copy only 2 folders: Reader & Resource to folder AcrobatReader 6. (Should keep the folder Resource because some file PDF need fonts). Now you can remove AR6 & go to folder AcrobatReader 6\Reader. Pls keep only those files & Folders:

- AcroRd32.exe

- Ace.dll

- Agm.dll

- Bib.dll

- CoolType.dll

- JP2KLib.dll

- OPP.dll

- Folder SPPlugins (this folder contains files necessary for displaying menu bar of AR6)

- Folder plug_ins: keep only 3 plugins in this folder:

+ reflow.api: Reflows the contents of a page to fit the width of the window.

+ Search.api: The Search plug-in serves as a backend for providing search services. It also loads indexes for special documents that contain the AutoIndex key.

+ Search5.api: The Search5 plug-in serves as a backend for providing services to search indexes created by earlier versions of Catalog.

4. Delete all another files & Folders which are not listed above. Now you can put back the folder Acrobat Reader 6 to %system drive%\Program Files. (or you can keep that folder on other place) Then open notepad, copy & paste these:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf]@="AcroExch.Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document]

@="Adobe Acrobat"

"EditFlags"=dword:00000000

"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document\DefaultIcon]

@=hex(2):25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,64,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,65,\

00,25,00,5c,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,20,00,46,00,69,00,\

6c,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,41,00,63,00,72,00,6f,00,62,00,61,00,74,00,52,00,65,\

00,61,00,64,00,65,00,72,00,20,00,36,00,5c,00,52,00,65,00,61,00,64,00,65,00,\

72,00,5c,00,41,00,63,00,72,00,6f,00,52,00,64,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,\

00,65,00,2c,00,31,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document\shell\Open\command]

@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,64,00,72,00,69,00,76,\

00,65,00,25,00,5c,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,20,00,46,00,\

69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,41,00,63,00,72,00,6f,00,62,00,61,00,74,00,52,\

00,65,00,61,00,64,00,65,00,72,00,20,00,36,00,5c,00,52,00,65,00,61,00,64,00,\

65,00,72,00,5c,00,41,00,63,00,72,00,6f,00,52,00,64,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,\

;Disable Adobe Acrobat Reader Splash screen

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\Originals]

"bDisplayAboutDialog"=dword:00000000

Save it with extension “*.reg" then import to registry. From now then on, you no need to setup Acrobat again, only use reg file to regiter it :).

(Notice that the reg file above for my relative path: %systemdrive%\Program Files\AcrobatReader 6. If your folder AcrobatReader 6 located on other place, you must change to absolute path.)

You also put folder AcrobatReader 6 to your CDXPUnattendedSetup's folder: OEM$\$Progs\

And add above regkey to your regtweaks.reg

The size of folder AcrobatReader 6 is only: 14,1MB (the AdbeRdr_full_enu.exe ~ 16MB & after setting up, the folder Adobe ~ 47MB)

You can download & try AR6 version 6.0.1 repacked by me. The file setup AR6.exe only 7,7MB. It runs & works on all Windows 9X/Me/2K/XP. You also setup in silent mode with switch “/s" (ex.: AR6.exe /s)

http://viet-guitar.com/diendan/index.php?a...e=post&id=21956

Adobe Reader SpeedUp - Adobe Reader SpeedUp is a simple application that was created to help make the loading time of Adobe's Acrobat/Reader software bearable for everyday use. AR SpeedUp only needs to be used once (a process taking only a few seconds) and then your 'Reader will be transformed forever. There are also some tweaking options available. "w00t!", as the young kids say.

http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php

top of the page.

Plus you can have this run silently as part of you unattended install

I think i have a simple solution.

After silent install of AR6, call a CMD file like this:

@cmdow @ /HID
@echo off
C:
CD "%programfiles%\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader"
RD Optional /S /Q
RENAME Plug_Ins Optional
MD  Plug_Ins
MOVE Optional\EWH32.* Plug_Ins
MOVE Optional\Search.* Plug_Ins

This will remove all plug_ins from plugins folder and put it in a Optional folder, copying the obligatory plugins, means that, in normal conditions, the speed of AR6 will be very fast, but if it need some other plugin, it will load normally just for this PDF.

You can run this .REG to speedup AR6

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Accept Acrobat EULA
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer]
"EULA"=dword:00000001

; Disable Adobe automatic updates
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\Updater]
"iUpdateFrequency"=dword:00000000
"bShowNotifDialog"=dword:00000000
"bShowAutoUpdateConfDialog"=dword:00000000

; Turn off Adobe splash screen
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\Originals]
"bBrowserCheck"=dword:00000001
"bDisplayAboutDialog"=dword:00000001

; Adjust Internet Speed for better download in IE
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AVGeneral]
"iConnectionSpeed"=dword:00989680

; Several minor tweaks
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdsInReader]
"bShowAds"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AVAlert\cCheckbox]
"iexitWithExternalDocsOpen"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\FeatureLockdown]
"bShowAdsAllow"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\FeatureLockdown]
"bUpdater"=dword:00000000

Btw: To avoid WISPTIS.EXE from load, remove it with the REG supplied by BeenThereB4 and to avoid worry with the *&*&*& Microsoft Journal Viewer, install the AR6 BEFORE M$ Journal Viewer or AR6 will corrupt the reg keys used by MJV giving you the popup message "cannot locate MJV files, needed to install...blah blah blah" when you start AR6.

Optionally,

1. Get Adobe Reader SpeedUp latest from here - AR-6 speedup

2. See that "comctl32.ocx" is present and registered ("regsvr32 /i comctl32.ocx").

2. Open the zip file and run it, for manually carrying out the task, or for unattended read below.

Place it in the folder you want in your $OEM$ directory structure. Then, look for a file called "Deployment.ini" within that folder. Open it and change

[Deployment]Enable=0
- Set Enable=1.

Then save it. Now run it during your uA setup, and it will do all that is described in the posts above for you automatically and quietly.

Now, since we know there will be more people who report errors than those confirming that a suggestion works, may I ask those of you who get this method to work fine for them to post back?

AR Speedup works, but it doesn't necessarily keep the plugins you do/don't want and such. It's quite easy to script as well.

Also, wheter you script it or use AR speedup, there's a lot more to be tweaked (registry entries).

Personally, I used a vb script to get the job done (it's a bit ugly but it works, some day i'll rewrite it clean if i get some free time).

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

'Define variables
Dim ProgramPath, FSO, objShell, objNetwork

'Define objects
set FSO = CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject")
Set objShell=WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

'Accept EULA
objShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\EULA"
objShell.RegDelete "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\EULA"
objShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\EULA","1","REG_DWORD"
objShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\EULA","1","REG_DWORD"

'no updates, no ads...
objShell.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\FeatureLockdown\bUpdater","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\FeatureLockdown\bShowAdsAllow","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\AdsInReader\bShowAds","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\Originals\bDisplayAboutDialog","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\Updater\bShowAutoUpdateConfDialog","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\Updater\bShowNotifDialog","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\Originals\bDisplayAboutDialog","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\Updater\iUpdateFrequency","0","REG_DWORD"
'internet connection speed
objShell.regwrite "HKLM\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AVGeneral\iConnectionSpeed","00989680","REG_DWORD"

'Delete shortcuts
FSO.DeleteFile objShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersDesktop") & "\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk", True
'FSO.DeleteFile objShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersPrograms") & "\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk", True
FSO.DeleteFolder objShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersPrograms") & "\PrintMe Internet Printing", True

'delete old optionnal plugin folder
FSO.DeleteFolder "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional", True

'rename plugins to optional
FSO.MoveFolder "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional"

'create a new plugin folder
FSO.CreateFolder "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins"

'move the desired plugins back to it
FSO.MoveFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\EWH32.api", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\EWH32.api"
FSO.MoveFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\EScript.api", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\EScript.api"
FSO.MoveFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\Search.api", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\Search.api"
FSO.MoveFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\printme.api", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\printme.api"
FSO.MoveFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\weblink.api", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\weblink.api"

It renames the plugins directory, creates a new one and move the desired plugins back, sets registry entries and deletes the annoying shortcuts. One file, no dependancies or anything. As ugly as it looks, it's never caused any problems either.

[Edit]

I forgot to mention. It seems that most people are running the .exe installers to install the app which takes ages (the FEAD optimizer thingy). Start the installer and look into %systemroot%\cache (ie c:\windows\cache in most cases). You'll get the extracted form in .msi format that installs a lot faster. Hope that helps too.

It seems that most people are running the .exe installers to install the app which takes ages (the FEAD optimizer thingy). Start the installer and look into %systemroot%\cache (ie c:\windows\cache in most cases). You'll get the extracted form in .msi format that installs a lot faster.
Right.

And here's a tip which will speed it up (install) further:

1. Copy away the directory crahak mentions, to somewhere else.

2. Open a command window, and change to the directory you copied previously.

3. Run the command "msiexec /A ---.MSI" (replace "---" with name of file).

4. It will lead you through the process of making an administrative install point.

5. Then SFX compress your Admin Install-point, and use it in the normal/known way.

Now, you have reduced the size of the installer, as well as the time taken to install it.

@crahak:

I followed your tip about getting the extracted files from the 'FEAD optimizer'. Very nice! Saves a lot of time... And I was kind of hoping that MSI would accept the same parameters, but it doesn't... I use

Adobe Reader 6.0.1.msi -p"-s /v\"/qn\""

as stated in the Sticky post "Application Switches". Any suggestions?

Oh god.....

Not that much of complication is needed. :)

Just

"z:\packages\AdobeReader60\Adobe Reader 6.0.msi" /QB

would have been enough.

Just FYI, you can use "/QB-!" switch to make the setup fully non-modal (i.e., no error messages or dialog boxes, if it fails it will do so silently), and also remove the "Cancel" button. That ability of MSI installers to remove the Cancel button comes handy, if your CD is gonna be used by absolute beginners, who'd like to meddle and click at everything on screen (even during setup) and then complain that things haven't installed as expected.

You can add the property "REBOOT=ReallySuppress" as well, if needed, like so:

"z:\packages\AdobeReader60\Adobe Reader 6.0.msi" /QB REBOOT=ReallySuppress

The function of the "REBOOT=ReallySuppress" is self-obvious... :rolleyes:

@crahak:

I followed your tip about getting the extracted files from the 'FEAD optimizer'. Very nice! Saves a lot of time...

Glad I could help. It sure saves a lot of time :)

Sounds like you got your MSI issues sorted out as well now.

i wanted to use this on my RunOnceEx:

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "Adobe Acrobat Reader v6.0.2 CE Full" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\AdobeReader602\AR602.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""" /f

but, i get confused with the quotes (") since i need to use (\") for every quotes in there ...

plz help :)