2 SP2 Issues

distorted

Issue 1:

Just installed SP2 (2180 RTM), and already cant look at this ugly luna theme :)

Ive got the right uxtheme.dll but i donno how to replace it :rolleyes:

Can anyone please guide me through this process bc i never done this manually and always used windows x multipatcher

Issue 2:

Never had any problems with previous versions of XP but after I upgraded to SP2 I have an icon in my system tray poping that my connection status is limited or there is no connectivity but my internet is workin just fine.

I have ADSL connection (@ 3 mbps)and using Alcatel Speedtouch Usb Modem.

Anyone know how to get rid of this icon in the system tray?

I attached a screenshot below

Thanks alot

post-34-1092114985_thumb.jpg

With issue 1:

Print this post, read carefully, follow instructions (it works as I have done it on 4 machines):

eject any windows xp cd's from your cdrom drive

next, go to \windows\driver cache\i386

next, in this directory, either rename all the .cab files to .bac files or move them to another directory

next, in the \windows\system32\dllcache, rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.lld

next, in the \windows\system32, rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.lld

if you get the windows xp prompt to insert your service pack 2 cd (click cancel, then yes)

next, copy the modified version you get from here or some other site, to the following directories:

\windows\system32\dllcache

\windows\system32

if you get the windows xp prompt to insert your service pack 2 cd (click cancel, then yes)

shutdown, and restart

login

next, go to \windows\driver cache\i386

next, in this directory, either rename all the .bac files to .cab files or move them back from the other directory (if you moved them as stated in the early part of this post)

Theme away!

hi, distorted

I've got the same issue (#2), and the only solution I could find is to assign a network adress to your computer (with SP2 it is not able to assign a temporary network adress).

So go to the network connections, right click the LAN-connection, Properties, Internetprotocol (TCP/IP), Properties, Assign IP-adress, I entered here 192.168.0.1 and it works.

I hope it will work for you.

SONB

hi, distorted

I've got the same issue (#2), and the only solution I could find is to assign a network adress to your computer (with SP2 it is not able to assign a temporary network adress).

So go to the network connections, right click the LAN-connection, Properties, Internetprotocol (TCP/IP), Properties, Assign IP-adress, I entered here 192.168.0.1 and it works.

I hope it will work for you.

SONB

same prob here. is there a way to logon to adsl connection before logon?

Thanks for the tip SONB,

I did that and it works great, but I did mention this solution to someone else and I got this caveat: "You should be fine as long as the IP you assigned is outside the scope of the range being assigned by your DHCP server AND the IP is internal and assigned by your ISP". Is the "assigned by your ISP" is something I need to worry about on my stand alone computer? Or does this sound like the reply was taken out of context for a stand alone with an internet connection?

Tia

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

But isn't it more dangerous to have permanent (fix)

IP to be more likely to attacks of any types ?

jAy :}

*EDIT*

One thing I must make mention of before you read the rest, you should be using a hardware firewall with any kind of broadband connection, even if you only have one computer. This is mostly for your security while on the internet, and as cheaply as you can pick up a router for these days, it's not reasonable to not have one!

*EDIT*

Not really, think about it, you only have access to at most 252 different possibilities for an ip address in any given range. For example, most routers, will allow you to assign 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.253, Usually 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.100 or 192.168.0.254 is being used by the router itself. Therefore your only left with 252 different possible address selections, if you maintain your network properly, your going to be going into the configuration sheet at least once a month to change your ip dchp addresses anyways, wep password as well, if your running a wireless network, so why not just skip using the dhcp and make them all static then you don't have to have all your ip addresses in a single line.

For another example, say you have 10 computers connected to your network, you can have them seperated out to 192.168.0.5, 192.168.0.12, 192.168.0.70, 192.168.0.89, 192.168.0.110, 192.168.0.114, 192.168.0.200, etc., instead of 192.168.0.101-192.168.0.110, which if one of those aren't there and you're on a wireless network, you're leaving the door open to any wannabe who wants to get onto your network, because they can just grab the next available ip address in the dhcp before they hack the wep. If it's static ip, then they have to know exactly what the next ip address is before they can even gain access to it. Some routers such as the ones that comes with Comcast Home Networking only allow for dhcp assigned addressing and limit you to only being allowed 5 connections from 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.14, which is a major screw-up on the isp's part from the security prospective. Now if you only have a small few computers, 3-5 then having them seperated amongst the 252 possibilities in the ip range that your working with is a great idea and also a better way at securing your network than using a dhcp assigned address.

Mind you, you should be using a firewall, (software,) as well as your router, to help keep people from being able to access your computer from the internet. If you can gain access to the internet, then no matter what your ip address is, someone can gain access to your computer from the internet, dhcp or staticly assigned. Though no solution is 100% safe from any kind of attacks on the internet, the only thing that will help is a properly set up firewall as well as a virus scanner that also runs in the background while your connected. Sure they may be using vital resources of the computer, but with computer speeds what they are today, as well as the bandwidth available, your computer really shouldn't notice that they are running, and the slowdowns that you may encounter would be from attacks on your computer. From the program itself having to use more resources to defeat the attacks. The problem is most people don't configure their security settings for their firewalls nor do they configure their settings for their virus scanners, instead turning them off or making them really lax in their protective abilities, which they need not be, if time was taken to set them up properly. Which not being set up properly could be the reasoning behind the massive usage of resources that they are consuming.

To bring a long story to a close, the best way to secure your network is to secure each computer that is connected to your network, using all the tools accessable to you, to your advantage. Including, but not in any ways limited to, using firewalls and virus scanners as a first line of defence against those attacks. If you are attacked, (notice someone using your network without your consent, (wirelessly,) or via the web,) you can always go into your routers, and softwares, set up page and change some settings to help lock it down further. One thing I recommend, if your router has the possiblity is to put all the MAC addresses of your computers that you are using on your network into a control list that will block others from being able to obtain an ip address to begin with, and make sure your not using a dhcp assigned address. (Usually found on wireless routers.) Look for a section that allows you assign the static ip addresses and set them up there as well, so your router knows exactly where to look for the computers that should be on that network. Also, make sure you have your firewalls and virus scanners properly set up, if you can't do this yourself, then either look for the information which is scattered all over the internet, (try looking for the companies forums first if available,) or ask someone else to help you set it up. In the long run you'll be happy you did.

HTH.

Edited by DisabledTrucker

go to the network connections, right click the LAN-connection, Properties, Internetprotocol (TCP/IP), Properties, Assign IP-adress, I entered here 192.168.0.1

I hate to be fussy, but there's no such thing as "Assign IP address", closest thing there is is: "Use the following IP address", which involves assigning a subnet mark...

Is THAT the place I should type in 192.168.0.1, in both the subnet mark, and IP address?

• 2 weeks later...