How do I tell if I have SP2 Final?

Sabrewulf165

The version shown on my desktop (if I enable that option with TweakUI) is

Windows XP Professional

Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 (Service Pack 2)

I thought the last four numbers should be 2180? :)

Also in properties of My Computer, it says "Physical Address Extension" under my amount of system memory. I thought final versions of Windows were not supposed to have this?

Got my SP2 from the first link on IANAG.com, and it matches the exact file size listed here on MSFN, but the digital signature is 6:06:58 AM instead of whatever is listed (11 something?)

Any help/input appreciated!

OK not to sound like a total newb, but how do I check the MD5 (I've always wondered this, just never bothered to figure out how :) )

EDIT - well I found a utility for doing so, and the checksums appear to match, so I guess I'm OK. But just for future reference... does Windows have any built-in method for checking the MD5? Or must I always use a 3rd party tool?

It's pretty simple. Follow this quick & easy steps:

1) Download this program CRC&MD5 Verifier. Unzip.Run the CRCCheck.exe.

2)Point to the SP2 file you have. Choose what do you want to calculate CRC or MD5. The program will calculate what you want and display.

3)In the third field enter either CRC or MD5 of the original file.

md5sum: 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7

CRC: 0x046F12B1 (or just 046F12B1)

4)If they are identical you defenitely have the right file.

Enjoy it cuz it haven't been officialy released to the public. :)

You can check the SP2 executable that you downloaded. First extract it to a directory of your choice. Goto i386\Update folder under the folder where you extracted the SP2 executable. Open Update.inf and look for a line that reads:

'ThisServicePackBuild'. It should say 2180.

[Version]

Signature = "$Windows NT$"

LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%

NtBuildToUpdate = 2600

NtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5

NtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1

MaxNtBuildToUpdate = 2600

MaxNtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5

MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1

MinNtServicePackVersion = 0

MaxNtServicePackVersion = 512

ThisServicePackVersion = 512

CatalogFile = sp2.cat

ThisServicePackBuild=2180

AllowUpdateBuilds = 2096,2138-2180 :)

Got my SP2 from the first link on IANAG.com, and it matches the exact file size listed here on MSFN, but the digital signature is 6:06:58 AM instead of whatever is listed (11 something?)

Its a timezone difference, notice how the minutes and seconds stay the same.

ardnelias - That's easily faked. Only md5sums and digital signatures validate a non-tampered file.

Also in properties of My Computer, it says "Physical Address Extension" under my amount of system memory.
You either have more than 4 GB of RAM, or you have a 64-bit capable processor. If so, that text (PAE, as you said) will be displayed.

No probs, breathe easy......

You've got the correct one (I think, :) from the info you've posted).

@gabriel_buc

That link to CRC & MD5 Verifier is dead (as of now). Know another place to get it from? Currently my favourite for MD5 verification has been MD5summer: get it.

no offence meant, but I found that one (alchemy link above) pretty slow, poor UI, and most funny of all, the downloaded CRC-checker doesn't pass the CRC-check in winrar. :) (not a corrupted download, installs & runs fine).

The command-line tool I use for CRC checking is attached. Far easier to browse using explorer, right-click a folder and "Open Command window here" and type "crc my_filename.ext". Moreover, the crc.exe utility (attached) is made by microsoft itself, and is tried and tested.

The GUI utility I use for MD5 verification has been MD5summer : you can get it here.

crc.zip