SP2 install needed hacked files list

nolookingca

@newuser: the patch is only required if you want to use the termsrv file.

@]Bonkers[: download the file pack at the bottom of the first post. The direct links are only for if you want the files seperately. Please note that you need to download the attached reg file too if you want to use the termsrv file.

@morgoth: they're different because I used better compression.

@orson_pl: I don't think it really matters where you load the reg file. However, you might want to apply it with your other reg tweaks.

Note: Always overwite the files in i386.

nolookingca: i'm talkin about the UNCOMPRESSED files ofcourse..they do differ so i still dont understand.

The reason i'm trying this hacked tcpip.sys in the first place are the 'No buffer space' available messages mirc gives me after some a few hours after I installed SP2. My FTPclient tells me Connection failed (10055:No buffer space available) then and all internet access is gone. I can't even initialize taskmanager after that. Shutting down most of the stuff i'm running 'solves' this but of course this is not acceptable. It used to happen with SP1 as well but only after a much longer time like 2/3 weeks. I really need a solution to this and the solution is NOT to quit down on network connections or applications I run. It must be some changed settings or system files which is causing this. Any comments are much appreciated.

Having installed the tcpip.sys from the hacked_files.zip doesn't solve my problem btw. So it must be other SP2 modifications which are the cause :-(

I dont think rolling back to SP1 will be any real solution cause SP2 is needed because of all fixes included in it. I would much prefer to know what changed with respect to this error and just change that back to SP1 state.

If anyone know anything please help cause it's driving me crazy.

nolookingca: i'm talkin about the UNCOMPRESSED files ofcourse..they do differ so i still dont understand.

The reason i'm trying this hacked tcpip.sys in the first place are the 'No buffer space' available messages mirc gives me after some a few hours after I installed SP2. My FTPclient tells me Connection failed (10055:No buffer space available) then and all internet access is gone. I can't even initialize taskmanager after that.

<snip>

I'm running with an unhacked tcpip.sys system with SP2 applied for a while now w/o any FTP problems. It's probably a program issue or some system problem.

What FTP program do you use? I'm using SmartFTP on a system with a unhacked tcpip.sys file without any problems.

P.S. The file difference might be because of the ModifyPE headers I applied so that Setup doesn't complain when used on a CD.

@scankurban: You probably can, but you might need to get help in the unattended forums since I have no experience what-so-ever with the hive files.

Ok, let me see if I get this right, I:

1. Download the kit from the bottom of the first post.

2. Extract the ".**_ " files to the XPCD\i386 folder.

3. Put the termsrv.reg file in my XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install folder

4. Call the termsrv.reg file in my CMDLINES.TXT file at the end of the installations.

This would be correct for doing it as an Unattended Setup from CD, correct? This would also keep me from having to place these files in my XPCD\$OEM$\$$\System32 and ~\System32\dllcache folder correct? If this is so, I am going to make an installer that will place these files where they need to go on an UXPCD, so next time I wont have to guess at it.

These files work with SP2 FINAL

Go to: Start, Run, winver. There should be something like xpsp_sp2_rtm in the middle

other than the termserv.dll and tcp.dll

why would you need these files? what does WFP keep you from being able to do?

and sp2 doesn't support themes? (is that why you need a hacked uxtheme.dll?)

i am getting a "Setup cannot copy the file termsrv.dll" when using the hacked file? do i need to apply the reg patch before installing sp2? i thought that was after you had installed... or why am i getting this error? this is not a slipstreamed windows cd... i just extracted the sp2 setup and copied the hacked files to i386 then ran update.exe under the update folder? is there something else i'm missing?