ATI or Nvidia for gaming?

Synapse

which one is better for gaming in your opinion?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. which one is better for gaming in your opinion?

• ATI Cards
    • Nvidia Cards

@Bi0haZarD about the drivers updates of ati, i must say that in the last 5 months i've passed from catalyst 4.1/.2/.3/.4/.5/.6/.7... and now they have released beta versions... 4.8 beta specially optimized for farcry and 4.9 alpha optimized for doom3... final versions will be out on middle september. i must say that download 30mb every 3/4 weeks ... :) but anyway it's pleasant to see that problems with actual games are solved in a short of time. if you to see how often the drivers are updated from ati and nvidia check omega radeon archive.

ps: waiting that call :rolleyes:

if your only looking to spend $200 pick up an ati 9800 pro. great cards at that price point. also nvidia is releasing their 6600 line in about 2 weeks, but solid specs on what it has (pipes/clock speeds/type&speed of the mem) are hard to come by right now. that card will retail at $199.

as for the current cards, i really wanted an ati x800pro. found out that all x800's are incompatible w/ my mobo. waited 6 weeks for a bios revision. got fed up went out and grabbed a 6800gt.

but the latest and greatest cards are so close performance wise its hard to tell who is the clear winner (unlike the gf4/8500 and9700/fx days..)

@SiMoNsAyS *or how ever your capitals are...*

been a while since i had my Radeon 7500 PCI card. but when i had that for probably a year and a half and they only updated the drivers once in that year and a half.... :)

First, ATI all the way...though the 6800 Ultra seems to benchmark faster than the X800XT, I tend to trust boards made by the designers of said board.

Excal. Radeon X800 Pro IceQ II VIVO

(salida de TV, entrada de vídeo, DVI, Retail)    256 MB GDDR3    Radeon X800 Pro    AGP 8x    529,00 EUR   

ps: if someone wants to make me a present please the last one will be appreciated 

I'm not sure how much 529 euros are (being too lazy to go find a conversion website, but I got my X800 Pro for $400 US (Which I'm pretty sure is MUCH less, as the dollar has fallen against the Euro) ...and I'll never go back to slow cards.

BTW, my machine, without optimizations of any kind (e.g. no overclocking, extra cooling, hardware tweaking), does about 7700 +/- 100 3DMark03 points

EDIT: using Xrates.com, I've found that my card cost 325 Euros, and your price is 651 US dollars...I'd wait :)

been a while since i had my Radeon 7500 PCI card. but when i had that for probably a year and a half and they only updated the drivers once in that year and a half.... :)

@Bi0haZarD *or how ever your capitals are...* :rolleyes::D

there was a looong time faaar faaar ago from today... when this was a pci's world... in the last year more than 10 updates from ati have come... (lol imagine starwars letter coming from the bottom lol)

BTW, my machine, without optimizations of any kind (e.g. no overclocking, extra cooling, hardware tweaking), does about 7700 +/- 100 3DMark03 points

Golly Phy,

That is a pretty high score.....

My 9600 SE got like a ....... :) 1900 and it was OC'ed a bit

It lagged through the whole thing :rolleyes:

My 9600 SE got like a .......  1900 and it was OC'ed a bit

It lagged through the whole thing 

That's higher than my 9600SE ever scored by about 200 points (with Duron 1.3 and 384 of PC133 in an MSI mobo) :) You have to love the 0 framerate in the Troll's lair sim :rolleyes: So mebbe I should say that ATI is the best EXCEPT for the SE series...

@Bi0haZarD *or how ever your capitals are...* :rolleyes::D

there was a looong time faaar faaar ago from today... when this was a pci's world... in the last year more than 10 updates from ati have come... (lol imagine starwars letter coming from the bottom lol)

LOL

That's higher than my 9600SE ever scored by about 200 points (with Duron 1.3 and 384 of PC133 in an MSI mobo)  :) You have to love the 0 framerate in the Troll's lair sim  :D So mebbe I should say that ATI is the best EXCEPT for the SE series...

Lowest Framrate i ever got was 2,

I'm gonna OC my 9600 to the max (just got some arctic silver and ramsinks) and let's see what i get :rolleyes: .

Definitely true about the SE's Phy.

Well, after looking around on pricewatch.com and some others, I cannot find a single vendor with stock on an X800 XT Paltinum Edition. Does anyone in here know of any vendor with stock selling these boards? I think I want an Asus brand, but I think they're all the same.

Thanks.

Well, after looking around on pricewatch.com and some others, I cannot find a single vendor with stock on an X800 XT Paltinum Edition.  Does anyone in here know of any vendor with stock selling these boards?  I think I want an Asus brand, but I think they're all the same.

Thanks.

they are being sold, just hard to find.

its kinda hard to find the x800xtpe at this point (the 6800 ultra is hard also, but a little easier), and there are many theories..

i like the gddr3 low yield theory. while the manu's can crank out gddr3 at 2.0ns, they are having problems w/ the 1.6ns, which is the spec'd memory speed for both cards.

just keep looking you'll stumble across one eventually.

edit keep an eye on newegg. they say eta on 8/14 how long they actually be available for/if they actually get them... who knows? but ouch $589!!! :)

Yeah, but I sold my GF4 5200 to a friend a while ago and am stuck with this crappy 440MX until I get an X800. I don't even wanna see what doom3 looks like on this board so I'm not going to get it until I have the video board :)

I'd get a 6800 ultra, but I don't like the fact that one needs a 480 W PS to use it. I think having 2 connectors is wastful. Tomshardware.com showed some crude power consumption at idle and gaming and the 6800U used more than the X800 did. That's reason enough for me to get the ATI :rolleyes: Plus it's susposed to look better.

...now if I can just find one!