ACPI compliant

zipp51

I recently upgraded a friend's computer from winME to Win2k.He has an old super socket 7 w/K62 500.He is on a cable modem.The upgrade went very well.We had a storm and he says he shut down his comp and after the storm passed the sys would not start correctly.A blue screen with the Stop message saying that the bios is not completely compatible with ACPI and to turn it off and all will be well. Now,in the bios utility I switch it off and after a few seconds into the start up screen the system shuts itself off.I have tried every which way to get around this.It won't even boot into safe mode or restore to last known working configuration.I was on the phone trying to do all this so I will have to go over my buddies to troubleshoot.Could the boot sector be corrupted?Can I start the machine with the CD and repair the configuration files.Any ideas besides trying to format again?..............Thanks Zipp :):rolleyes::D

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;q256841

Try resetting the BIOS settings, particularly "Configuration Data". If that doesn't work see if it will boot from a system disk. If it won't, you might have to reflash your BIOS.

Sudden power outages in during the post process can right messed up values to the ACPI configuration data in NVRAM. I had the same thing happen to me with my old iOpener and I had to hotswap the BIOS chip and reflash it in another system's motherboard.

The first thing I did was unplug all the peripherals and unplug the power cord.Then I just hooked up the keyboard,mouse and monitor,plugged it back into the surge protector,fired it up and got the same thing,windows kept starting and shutting down.Just for the heck of it I used another surge protector he had laying around and now it's running again.I don't quite understand why windows reported that the bios was not fully compliant and now it runs with a new surge protector.The lightning may have damaged it.Anyway I shut it down and tried using the old surge protector and it repeated it's restarting ways so I guess it's the power strip?Time will tell if there is any more damage. :)