SFC_OS.DLL hack for XP SP2 Final

I just did a fresh install of XP, installed all my drivers, and service pack 2. I booted in safemode and copied the sp2 sfc_os.dll. Then I modified the registry. First I changed SFCDisable to ffffff9d which didn't work. Then I put SFCDisable back to normal and added SFCSetting and set to ffffff9d, which didn't work either.

How do I get this working? When I boot XP tells me that sfc_os.dll isn't the correct library and I should compare it to the install CD.

I just did a fresh install of XP, installed all my drivers, and service pack 2.  I booted in safemode and copied the sp2 sfc_os.dll.  Then I modified the registry.  First I changed SFCDisable to ffffff9d which didn't work.  Then I put SFCDisable back to normal and added SFCSetting and set to ffffff9d, which didn't work either.

How do I get this working?  When I boot XP tells me that sfc_os.dll isn't the correct library and I should compare it to the install CD.

Windows File Protection changed it back to the original version. You need overwrite both the one in system32 and dllcache in order for it to stick.

(Or just use my pack :P)

I just did a fresh install of XP, installed all my drivers, and service pack 2.  I booted in safemode and copied the sp2 sfc_os.dll.  Then I modified the registry.  First I changed SFCDisable to ffffff9d which didn't work.  Then I put SFCDisable back to normal and added SFCSetting and set to ffffff9d, which didn't work either.

How do I get this working?  When I boot XP tells me that sfc_os.dll isn't the correct library and I should compare it to the install CD.

Windows File Protection changed it back to the original version. You need overwrite both the one in system32 and dllcache in order for it to stick.

Your pack seems to be for fresh installs. I don't want to install XP again, I just want to turn off WFP. I don't see why it can't be done after everything is installed.

Can someone please give me instructions to disable WFP using this sfc_os.dll? What registry entries must I change and to what?

Your pack seems to be for fresh installs. I don't want to install XP again, I just want to turn off WFP. I don't see why it can't be done after everything is installed.

Can someone please give me instructions to disable WFP using this sfc_os.dll? What registry entries must I change and to what?

I just told you :rolleyes:

I just told you :rolleyes:

There is no sfc_os.dll in dllcache. :blink:

For the hell of it, I tried changing the one in the servicepackfiles folder, but I get the same error.

And if windows changed it back, I don't think I'd get the error.

@verbal

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\sfc_os.dll

It is there.

It is not on my machine. I just did a fresh install of XP and installed SP2. I have show hidden files on and hide protected operating system files off. I've checked five+ times. The only file with 'sfc' in the folder is sfc.exe. I'll gladly take a screenshot if you like.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've looked through all the posts in this thread and others and have not found a solution to the problem of removing only specific folders from Program Files. Bachus raised the question earlier but I'm not sure that there is a solution yet.

As mentioned there was a SP1 sfcfiles.dll hacked file that also worked great for me. I tried to hex/hack edit the original SP2 file myself by removing the offending entries, but XP hung.

How would one go about removing these entries from sfcfiles.dll correctly? Or has anyone already done it for SP2?

Thanks

Ok, thanks. I'll check back a little later and see if anyone has a solution.

BTW, is there a special trick to modify the original sfcfiles.dll? I tried removing just the path but xp didn't like it. Also, which is the best hex editor to use for this?

jimanny

@verbal

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\sfc_os.dll

It is there.

It is not on my machine. I just did a fresh install of XP and installed SP2. I have show hidden files on and hide protected operating system files off. I've checked five+ times. The only file with 'sfc' in the folder is sfc.exe. I'll gladly take a screenshot if you like.

You might have a folder ServicePackFiles in the windows directory, since sp2 wasn't slipstreamed, check there..