Latest NVIDIA drivers 60.77 a no go ? :-(

midiboy

HI guys,

just wanted to ask you guys if any of you had any success silently installing the latest NVIDIA drivers 60.77, cause I haven´t. The strange thing is, the earlier versions all worked fine using the usual OEMPnPDriversPath method. Even the 60.76 drivers worked that way as did all the unofficial builds before that one.

But the 60.77 drivers do not install at all. After Unattended Setup is complete, Windows ( XP SR2 RC2 ) will have installed the usual Microsoft driver instead of the Nvidia drivers.

That´s my winnt.sif:

DriverSigningPolicy="Ignore"
   NonDriverSigningPolicy="Ignore"
  OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\01_IntelInf\;Drivers\02_ViaInf\;Drivers\03_NvidiaInf\;Drivers\04_3Com3C940\;Drivers\06_USB2Seriell\;Drivers\07_GrafikNVIDIA\"

All the drivers except for the last ones install fine so I guess the line is correct. I also tried without the slashes at the end of the paths but it did not make any difference.

I think the problem lies with the newest drivers from NVIDIA .... ? :)

Bye,

Alex

Well, this one's been a fairly irritating thing about nV drivers (ForceWare) right since the betas.

You know what?

nVidia releases a driver, and MS takes it and releases it (within the driver SP2.cab) as driver_version+0.01. So, (most recent example) when nV brought out the detonators 56.72, SP2_rc2 had 56.73. Now, when windows decides on which driver to use, it sees 2 factors - WHQL signing, and version. If a driver is signed, and has a higher version than what it already has in its own install source, that will be used. If it has a higher version, but is unsigned, you need the driver signing off in winnt.sif.

In your case, windows thinks it has the newer drivers, and gets an additional reason to beat you with a stick - 62.77 (which is what I think you are really referring to, that version's main advantage over 62.76 is that it is dX9c supportive) is not WHQL signed/approved yet. So don't cast doubts on your ability to have those drivers installed automatically, or the integrity of the drivers - you are doing fine, MS/nV are at fault. Just wait for a signed release (which might come out with a higher release version) - or do what you already are doing (install the newer version post-install) manually.

prathapml,

thats interesting. But if Microsoft is using the latest NVIDIA drivers, why don´t they include the control panel and advanced options the original drivers have ?

If a driver is signed, and has a higher version than what it already has in its own install source, that will be used. If it has a higher version, but is unsigned, you need the driver signing off in winnt.sif.
Mhh, but SP2 RC2 cannot possible have 62.77 drivers so the only thing that might put Windows off is the missing WHQL signation. But the driver version should definitely be higher and I have the following in winnt.sif, so it should take the new driver, no ?
DriverSigningPolicy="Ignore"

NonDriverSigningPolicy="Ignore"

Bye,

Alex

if Microsoft is using the latest NVIDIA drivers, why don´t they include the control panel and advanced options the original drivers have ?

They won't because that will bloat their OS further. Also, all they really need is "drivers", not all the CPLs which just give an interface to fine-tune it - that's a function left to manufacturers.

When I bunched 62.76 with RC2, things worked out just fine - you might want to do that. If dX9c support is *SO* important (which gfx card? GeForce FX6800? lucky!) that you *HAVE* to use 62.77, you still need to wait for a new WHQL'ed release, or install 62.77 manually.

which gfx card? GeForce FX6800? lucky!)

No, not yet unfortunately. It is just a GF5700 ..

Well considering the fact that SP2 final was released today I will probably not have a chance to install 61.76 drivers silently if Windows SP2 contains the 61.77 drivers ...

Well, I guess I will have to wait for a future NVIDIA driver. But thanks for your help !

Bye,

Alex

I can confirm that with Windows XP SP2 Final, the latest nVidia drivers WON'T install.

Windows setup will do 1 of 2 things (seemingly random)...

1. It will install the Microsoft version of the driver.

2. It will install the Microsoft version of the driver and then the extra bits of the nVidia one (causing a version mismatch when trying to view nVidia settings).

So either way, we're screwed until nVidia update their drivers... Only other option is to install it silently via RunOnceEx.

2. It will install the Microsoft version of the driver and then the extra bits of the nVidia one (causing a version mismatch when trying to view nVidia settings).

That's impossible!

No way, buddy. Such a result is prevented from happening, and won't happen no matter what you try.

Your options, as I said, were to either stick with 62.76 (which is extremely good itself, and is very new - so it will install itself with SP2), or wait for the next release which has dX9c, *AND* WHQL signed.

@parathapml: Hmm.. I wonder how I got the version mismatch then...

Upon first boot I got the nView wizard so I know that part of the nVidia drivers were installed but going to the hardware manager revealed the "Microsoft Corporation" drivers were actually being used...

I wonder how that could happen then... Any thoughts, 'cause I'm lost?

Edit: Nevermind: It must be an nLite problem with SP2 because I removed DISPLAY ADAPTERS and yet it still installs the Microsoft one?!?! What the hell?!?!

Take a look at the I386 folder, and you'll see some nv*.* files (put in by SP2). So that's where your MS Corp. drivers came from (nLite removed it only from drivers/SP2.cab).

As for your version mis-match:

Ha ha ha........ :)

I don't know how you got such weird things happening. I have nothing at all to say. The next time I check-in, you might as well have seen a pteranodon flying over the top of your home's terrace (just kidding :rolleyes:, no offence meant).