CDRW dilema

I have an Iomega Zip650 12x4x32 burner.It was installed in my Win2kPro comp and I had to get new software from Iomega to run it.I installed it in my XP comp and as instructed got the patch for XP,but it runs a lot better with the Win2KPro.To be blunt it sucks.I am going to look around for something new does anyone have a suggestion on a good CDRW for under $125.00?How do you rate your Burner?

just a thought before you go splashing out money on a new drive, have you updated your ASPI layers?

and if so did you install the X86 ones also? (the win2k ones, some burner software wont run unless it finds the win2k versions)

download ASPI from adaptec and install both X86 and XP32 sets if you havent ->

ASPI 4.71

first you run the exe which unpacks it all to drive C:\

then go to start > run and click browse

Browse you way to the folder on drve C made by the unpacker, C:\adaptec\aspi

select the file instal.bat and click open.

you should now have the run box with the path to your instal.bat file in it, on the end add X86 and click OK.

now do the same again but add XP32 to the end and click OK, eg:

C:\adaptec\aspi\instal.bat XP32

reboot and then run ASPICHK found in the adaptec\aspi folder, it should show your drivers to be upto date (check install dates)

hope that helps if that was the cause

No suggestions on getting what you have to work other than what has already been suggested.

:)

BUT -- before you go whack $125 on a CDRW drive - stop. I would suggest saving for another bit until you can buy a DVD+RW drive. Prices have fallen below $300 - but will keep going down. I just got a Philips (model 6002) and it is the bombay.

LS_Dragons

if its an internal scsi drive and its not running well under XP but it does under win2k theres one reason really why that would be flash... ASPI

windows xp comes with crap ASPI layers, if i format, when i try burn anything with most burners i get coasters and some burners, eg fireburner, wont even work. that is, until ASPI is updated.

it might not be that but its my best guess from what zipp posted :)

The drive is an ATAPI internal one.I got it to work better.I bought Iomega Hotburn software and downloaded the xp patch,however I installed the patch before I installed the Hotburn and thats a no no according to Iomega.It still is slow but it works.The other alternative is to shell out $70 to $100 on the newest Roxio Easy CD Creator.It originally had Version 4 which will only work with 98se.What I mean by slow is that it is a 12x burner and I get buffer underruns while copying at that speed and have to slow it down to 8x and then it's fine.I'll live with it.DVD sounds like something I might want to save for.

Zip forget Easy cd creator....its crap, just use nero, its free and much better, in my opinion.

-Drew

I can't agree more! Easy cd Creator just doesn't like XP, I've been using Nero for about 4 maybe 5 months now and I've had no problems with it. Good luck with it either way! :)

How could I go wrong I just bought a LiteON 32x12x40 CDRW for $55.Haven't installed it yet. Aaron says his reads everything and the reviews are good on these drives.Does anyone know what Mt Rainier is ? :)

I use the same model ZIP650 as my secondary CDRW on my system with a HIVAL 16x10x40 as my primary. I am using NERO with my XP Professional and INCD with both drives with no problems. I did not load any drivers for either drive. :)