SATA w/o floppy?

Hello All!

I got a serial ATA drive today. But I don't have a floppy...:) Well, I did but it was in an old system and didn't work well. So, it went out w/ the old case. Is there another way to do a clean install of XP sp2 w/ sata?

Thanks

Are you sure you need a floppy, you don't generally need one unless you're doing SATA RAID. Single SATA drives can be read as an IDE drive and Windows XP setup has no problem with it. But I guess this can depend on the motherboard.

It depends on the motherboard. If you are booting the SATA drive from an onboard Promise controller or the SIIG one then you definitely need F6 and a floppy or an unattended CD with the drivers slipstreamed in. The Intel ICH6 SATA controller doesn't need the extra drivers unless you have a RAID setup.

It depends on the motherboard. If you are booting the SATA drive from an onboard Promise controller or the SIIG one

SIIG is exactly what I have. I'm getting a floppy drive today. Useless, I never use a floppy for anything anymore. We now have Boot CDs, recovery CDs, etc.

You can integrate the drivers into your Windows XP CD, but this requires it to have unattended files as well, which I'm sure you can keep to a minimum so its not unattended.