The Windows XP firewall...

Flash

Is the Windows XP firewall all that and a bag of chips?!

With the increasing amount of hackers getting around these days i was wondering if the firewall i got now (default Windows XP) is going to be strong enough to withstand the hacks...

Should i get another firewall?

Or stick with the XP one?

Well the XP firewall will do its job on all the incoming information on your comp! When active you are in stealth mode on all tests. The problem is on all outgoing if you have some spyware or a trojan that wants to get out it will! If you use XP firewall and you have good antivirus software and trojan software going you should have no probs with this firewall.

Yeah, well i have Norton Antivirus 2002 so i dont think i will have a problem. And i wont get a trojan as i wont open the e-mails that i know have got one in, lol. Alright, i just wanted to make sure as i noticed i didnt really have much knowledge about the firewall itself so thought i'd ask. Cheers guys.

People hate MS so much, they pooh-pooh the XP firewall out of habit. I have had it for nine months and think it is fine. I tested it on the free 'Net stealth sites, and it passed with flying colors. Whereas, the 'Net is full of people who have had a hard time with XP and Zone Alarm, and the other firewalls tying up their whole systems.

Supposedly, it lets things out. So, get Lavasoft Ad-aware and Ad-watch. Also, PC-illin is the best AV to use with XP.

XP is funny, things must be done XP's way, or you will have trouble. External firewalls are a prime example.

ms file wall does sux compared to free ones like kerio personal firewall

we aint talking about just incoming stuff here or addware.

trojans send out and so does other things people may have on there pc they would rather didnt access the net such as cough *ilegal* cough copys of things

kerio runs like a dream on XP, its the best firewall i have ever used and ive tried a lot of the ones out there

norton

zone alarm

win XP

conseal

deerfield

sygate

kerio

tiny

and others i forget, kerio is the best of the bunch and its free!

za would block some games if i tried to host, even if i turned it off, as the true vector part of it always runs.

in kerio you can save your permissions and export the file to disc or onto another pc on your network, very usefull for if you ever format, just install kerio, load your backup rules file, job done :)

I wouldn't use a Kerio Beta myself, (until final) but I hope their newer version fixes the problem outlined @ DSLReports Forum thread

There seems to be a conflict with Proxomitron and Kerio, and I had the BSOD yesterday as they described.

I'm running XP Pro SP1 1086, with Proxomitron 4.3 and Kerio 3.0 beta. I've NEVER had a BSOD or any other error from Kerio or Proxomitron together. The ONLY problem I ever had was not uninstalling 2.1.4 before installing 3.0 beta. I just uninstalled both and reinstalled 3.0 beta and like it better.

I also tried Tiny 3.0 and hated it. It was dumbed down too much to appeal to corporate users.

I'm running XP Pro SP1 1086, with Proxomitron 4.3 and Kerio 3.0 beta. I've NEVER had a BSOD or any other error from Kerio or Proxomitron together. The ONLY problem I ever had was not uninstalling 2.1.4 before installing 3.0 beta. I just uninstalled both and reinstalled 3.0 beta and like it better.

I also tried Tiny 3.0 and hated it. It was dumbed down too much to appeal to corporate users.

The BSOD is very rare and random though... it hasn't happened to you yet, but it could do in future.. unless Kerio fixed it in their new beta.

aye Norton Internet Security is pretty useful w/ its features + Antivirus integrated which I can easily update at the same time :)

But still, XP firewall looks favourably on anything that is made by M$.