The count-down to SP2

prathapml

Which language (of Windows) do you use?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Which language (of Windows) do you use?

• English
    • German/Japanese
    • Others

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That's great, why is this thread still open? SP2 has been out for ages. There's going to be SP3 someday. I read it in an article talking about how Firefox's success prompted those idiots over at M$ to release a newer version of IE before Longhorn. Pffft...

:huh: Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company that buys out companies that its jealous of for whatever reason and they have no comprehension of security. You ask them for help with something, they tell you to check some help files. I dispise M$. I'll spell it however I want to, thanks. I don't mean to be harsh, but for someone to tell me how I should spell an abbreviation is pretty worthless.

:huh: Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company that buys out companies that its jealous of for whatever reason and they have no comprehension of security. You ask them for help with something, they tell you to check some help files. I dispise M$. I'll spell it however I want to, thanks. I don't mean to be harsh, but for someone to tell me how I should spell an abbreviation is pretty worthless.

WoW! somebodys touchy! I actually used to be kind of like you where I was all anti-microsoft. Now I am all about microsoft. I have learned to give in and accept microsoft as the great computer giant it is and work with them instead of bash them. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I mean - com'on he has got rich of some pretty dodgy versions of beta.

I'm always amazed when folks think MS is weak on product and security. They have created tools by which companies are getting their work done. If they weren't successful, MS would be but a bad dream.

Please explain why a recent report from Yankee Group with their North American Linux Windows TCO Survey shows 88% of of corporations report that Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Server 2003 operating system provides equal to or better performance and reliability than Linux in comparable usage scenarios.

Those are the results of Yankee Group's independent, non-sponsored North American Linux Windows 2005 TCO Comparison survey. The results indicate that Microsoft's continued attention to hardening the core Windows operating system yielded tangible performance improvements.

The 88% of corporate customers who rated Windows performance equal to or better than Linux is a 12% increase from the 76% of customers who ranked Windows on a par with Linux in Yankee Group's 2004 TCO study.

The survey responses also show that Linux is no longer a pristine Utopian environment.

The increasing popularity and deployment of Linux and open source are making it prey to the same TCO issues that have long plagued their Microsoft Windows counterparts. Additionally, the Linux market is beginning to experience "forking" or fragmentation among the various distributions and customized code. There is a high probability that this will increase interoperability and integration issues. Corporate customers are already concerned about this. In summary, Linux and Windows each have specific strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats which can impact a corporation's TCO and ROI, positively or negatively.

To achieve optimum results and avoid undue deployment problems and expenses, corporations must perform a thorough cost, performance risk analysis to determine the right technology option. Any business that does not know or cannot determine the key costs associated with its software infrastructure risks making the wrong technology decision. Such a mistake may adversely impact the TCO of their respective environments for years.

By Laura DiDio

Senior Analyst

Yankee Group

Boston, Ma.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...