The count-down to SP2

prathapml

Which language (of Windows) do you use?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Which language (of Windows) do you use?

• English
    • German/Japanese
    • Others

So are we supposed to stay awake until SP2 is available for download?
I don't know about you people, but I am gonna stay awake and get the **** thing to my machine, before I get even a wink of sleep. :rolleyes:

SP2 status is going to be reported live from here.

@Tbone2

Yup! It's been a long wait - too long prolly, but no more. :D

Nerd... :)

Oh... wait...

I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to get the service pack. As soon as that is released MS servers are going to be shot to hell and back and will crawlllll like mad. I remember when sp1 was released and that didn't have near the anxiety and appeal to the population as this one does and they were pumping out over 50 gigabytes per second and it was insane trying to download the sp.

Also, there is some good news that MS has put forth. They're going to be giving free live support over the phone for any and all issues related to Sp2 and what it breaks to everyone that needs it. I thought that was a pretty nice move on MS' side of the chain.

Now as for this thread, it's just silly :rolleyes: It's a service pack not the girl of my dreams coming over for an amzing on night stand that will last for a week :) I don't have any desire, myself, to download this sp at all. Haven't downloading even a beta or an RC yet and don't intend to. All that bug hunting and troubleshooting can be left to the people that are interested in having things break hehe.

I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to get the service pack.  As soon as that is released MS servers are going to be shot to hell and back and will crawlllll like mad.  I remember when sp1 was released and that didn't have near the anxiety and appeal to the population as this one does and they were pumping out over 50 gigabytes per second and it was insane trying to download the sp.

Also, there is some good news that MS has put forth.  They're going to be giving free live support over the phone for any and all issues related to Sp2 and what it breaks to everyone that needs it.  I thought that was a pretty nice move on MS' side of the chain.

Now as for this thread, it's just silly :D  It's a service pack not the girl of my dreams coming over for an amzing on night stand that will last for a week :rolleyes:  I don't have any desire, myself, to download this sp at all.  Haven't downloading even a beta or an RC yet and don't intend to.  All that bug hunting and troubleshooting can be left to the people that are  interested in having things break hehe.

I remember when I joined MSFN about 2 years ago, it was in the middle when SP1 was coming out... There was a thread just like this one! :) It was crazy! :D

I honestly didn't know about msfn back then. The only forum pc related that I was heavily involved in at the time and previous to that was pcpitstop.com. Still am to this day even but not as much. I'm getting lazy :)

I'd try the German version out.... if it weren't for the fact that my German teacher was too stupid. I didn't learn anything in her class because she barely knew the language herself. 2 years and I can barely say hello and count. What a waste.

Yes speed of the download might be as bad as the wait. Normaly I can get up to 500 - 600 KB a sec from microsoft with my cable modem but I can jsut see a few routers around microsoft going down when the downloading begins.

Since pratha has started this thread:

How long would it take you to download SP2 (say if its abt 100MB). It should be smaller than the RC2 since there would be lesser debug tools.

I remember when I downloaded SP1. Its 125MB and since I use dial-up & cannot connect for much time so I used a download manager. Just downloaded for one hour a day and disconnected. In this way I had the SP1 in two weeks :) . Maybe if its released today (Aug 5th has started here in Pakistan, and New York is 9 hrs behind us), then most probably I'll have SP2 by September.

Although also of the security features, my main concern is that it will install latest diredtX, win msngr, WMP9 and other by default. As you ppl may see, my config should take lots of time in file extraction, its a pain to install all these things one-by-one.

;config.tXt

;30.07.2004

;23:19 PST

Graphic Card: Matrox Millenium G200 AGP

Model #: Just ain't feeling like unscrewing to look inside.............

Sr #: Just ain't feeling like unscrewing to look inside.............

Driver version: 6.83.017 in Win98, 5.92.006 in WinXP

PD version: 6.83.017 in Win98, 6.92.004 in WinXP

VT version: N/A

MGA Bios version: 1.4.004

Hardware rev.: 133

CPU: AMD Athlon 600 MHz (AMD K7600MTR51B) @687MHz (FSB114, CL2)

Chipset: VIA Apollo KX133 (VT8731 + 82C686A)

Motherboard: SL-77KV

Motherboard Bios: L5

PCB ver: M5

Motherboard chipset patches: AGP GART 1.80a from VIA Hyperion 4.51v

RAM: 1x Kingston 256MB KVR133X64C3/256 (@148MHz)

Desktop resolution and color depth: 1024x768, 32bpp

DirectX version: DX9.0b, 4.09.0000.0902 in Win98, Win2000

Hard Drive: Seagate Baraccuda 7200.7, ST380011A; firmware v3.06

SCSI card type: NIL

Sound card and driver version: Integrated VIA AC'97, drv v5.40a in Win98/WinXP

Hardware rev.: 032

Monitor brand: Philips 105S2

CD-ROM Drive (make/model): Asus S520/A, firmware rev. 2.0L

Network card: NIL

Fax MODEM: Amigo AMI-2019E, (also called AM HW 3056) (PCI slot 3 of 5)

Driver Version: 3.37

Hardware revision: 001

IRQ settings and other devices:

-----------------------

Ahsan Zaheer Shaikh

Student

H.S.C.-II

Adamjee Govt. Science College,

Karachi.

Remember that you will be able to order a CD from Microsoft for free, add to this that there will be a number of retail outlets stocking the SP2 CD. Also you can bet that all the PC hardware and PC Gaming magazines will have SP2 on their cover CD's.

If you get really desperate you could go check out a local internet cafe, they would have a broadband connection and will probably already have downlaoded the service pack.

its been a long time waiting very anticipated, the strange thing is that the people that i work with didnt know anything about it...and i work at a software company...but hopefully not too much longer

my main concern is that it will install latest directX, win msngr, WMP9 and other by default. As you ppl may see, my config should take lots of time in file extraction.....
That's actually one of the attractions about SP2. Slip-stream it, and you have got all updates you need!
How long would it take you to download SP2
Now, that's a question, whose answer will differ from one individual to another, depending on their connection speeds. The final release of SP2 is going to be approx. 260 MB. If you assume that MS' servers are able to give you your download at your maximum ceiling speed, and you had the following connection speeds to the internet:

dial-up 56k = 20 hours (or less)

DSL 128kbps = 7 hours

Cable 1.5 Mbps = ~1 hour

T1/T3/higher = you obviously won't have all that bandwidth to yourself! :)