Windows Starting Up

kaming

HI, I have a problem which I hope someone will help out.When I startup my computer when it reaches the windows starting up ... it takes a very long time to go to the welcome screen. Sometimes it just hang in the windows starting up screen and I have to restart to to overcome this problem. When the welcome screen appears it takes a long time before it will open to the desktop. Yes I have a numbers of folders and shortcut in the desktop,how am I going to solve this problems. Thanks.

(Also, if you haven't tried already) try running Windows XP in safe mode. If it doesn't take a very long time to load and it doesn't hang, then there is probably some spyware/adware/bad program running itself during normal Windows XP and is using up the CPU.

In addition to Curv Ball's suggestions, you could also run Ad-Aware or even simply a virus scanner (I have used Norton to remove spyware/adware that Spybot and Ad-Aware could not find)

(Also, if you haven't tried already) try running Windows XP in safe mode. If it doesn't take a very long time to load and it doesn't hang, then there is probably some spyware/adware/bad program running itself during normal Windows XP and is using up the CPU.

In addition to Curv Ball's suggestions, you could also run Ad-Aware or even simply a virus scanner (I have used Norton to remove spyware/adware that Spybot and Ad-Aware could not find)

i suggest the same and i personally preffer Ad-Aware too.

It is not necessarily spyware which is slowing your login process (I suppose that is what you are talking about). If it is the login process which is slow, prune your "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName" folder. That is:

1. Put all the files on your desktop into your "My Documents".

2. Change your wallpaper to a lower-res one, or set it to "None".

3. Empty the "Recent" documents folder.

4. Delete the icon-cache in "C:\Documents and Settings\_UserName_\Local Settings\Application Data" to let windows re-build only the needed icons into memory.

If it is really the startup process which is slow, try running "msconfig" (from "Start >> Run" ) and remove unnecessary programs from "Startup", then disable unnecessary Services from auto-starting. Then, try clearing out the "C:\Windows\System32\Prefetch\" folder. Then try running regclean (a tool from MS to clean out unnecessary bloat from your registry).

The above steps should reduce your startup time to be not more than 30 seconds. Hoping this helps.

Hi there,

all good tips but i was under the impression that the startup

delay was way past the difference that these tweaks shall make.

Certianly worth working through those tips if no spyware was found

but if your going to go to such extremes then you may as well

run the error checking tool for the system partition.

then defrag it as well.

Still not happy,

well startup and logoff etc can be run in verbose mode which displays which files

are causing the delays

Good luck