Win Xp Pro unattend won't install Office 2003 pro

After finally getting the winnt.sif configured properly and win xp pro unattend installable, I can't seem to get it to install Office 2003 pro?

I followed the unattend files from this site but think it has to do with the batch files. The help file says to create a batch file, but doesn't say where to save it or how to get it executed.

I had it suggested to do it with [GuiRunOnce] in my winnt.sif file. to I reran SetupMgr and told it to execute my batch file. here it is.

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
FileSystem=*
OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\006_storage;
Drivers\006_storage\3ware;Drivers\006_storage\3
ware\6000;Drivers\006_storage\3ware\7k&8k;Drive
rs\006_storage\acard;Drivers\006_storage\acard\
6280;Drivers\006_storage\acard\6290;Drivers\006
_storage\acard\67160;Drivers\006_storage\acard\
671x;Drivers\006_storage\acard\6880;Drivers\006
_storage\acard\6890;Drivers\006_storage\acard\6
8x5;Drivers\006_storage\adaptec;Drivers\006_sto
rage\adaptec\aac;Drivers\006_storage\adaptec\aa
r1210;Drivers\006_storage\adaptec\i2o;Drivers\0
06_storage\adaptec\u160;Drivers\006_storage\ada
ptec\u320;Drivers\006_storage\adaptec\u320r;Dri
vers\006_storage\ali;Drivers\006_storage\amd;Dr
ivers\006_storage\highpoint;Drivers\006_storage
\highpoint\hpt366;Drivers\006_storage\highpoint
\hpt371;Drivers\006_storage\highpoint\hpt374;Dr
ivers\006_storage\highpoint\hpt3xx;Drivers\006_
storage\highpoint\rr182x;Drivers\006_storage\in
tel;Drivers\006_storage\intel\eide;Drivers\006_
storage\intel\sataraid;Drivers\006_storage\inte
l\u320r;Drivers\006_storage\ite;Drivers\006_sto
rage\lsilogic;Drivers\006_storage\lsilogic\mega
ide;Drivers\006_storage\lsilogic\mraid35x;Drive
rs\006_storage\lsilogic\mylex;Drivers\006_stora
ge\lsilogic\symmpi;Drivers\006_storage\nvidia;D
rivers\006_storage\nvidia\eide;Drivers\006_stor
age\nvidia\raid;Drivers\006_storage\promise;Dri
vers\006_storage\promise\fasttrak;Drivers\006_s
torage\promise\fasttx2k;Drivers\006_storage\pro
mise\sx4000;Drivers\006_storage\promise\sx6000;
Drivers\006_storage\promise\ulsata;Drivers\006_
storage\promise\ultra;Drivers\006_storage\qlogi
c;Drivers\006_storage\qlogic\12160;Drivers\006_
storage\siimage;Drivers\006_storage\siimage\311
2;Drivers\006_storage\siimage\3112r;Drivers\006
_storage\siimage\3114;Drivers\006_storage\siima
ge\3114r;Drivers\006_storage\siimage\3124;Drive
rs\006_storage\siimage\3124r;Drivers\006_storag
e\siimage\649r;Drivers\006_storage\siimage\680;
Drivers\006_storage\siimage\680r;Drivers\006_st
orage\sis;Drivers\006_storage\sis\eide;Drivers\
006_storage\sis\raid;Drivers\006_storage\via;Dr
ivers\006_storage\via\eide;Drivers\006_storage\
via\ideraid;Drivers\006_storage\via\miniport;Dr
ivers\006_storage\via\sataraid;"

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword="online1"
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=4
   OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
   ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
   FullName="Mark"
   OrgName=""
   ComputerName=IC7-MAX3

[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode=1
   Dialing=Tone
   AreaCode=360

[RegionalSettings]
   LanguageGroup=1

[GuiRunOnce]
   Command0=%systemdrive%\install\office2k3.bat

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Then I ran ORK and ran the Custom Installation Wizard and saved the file as OP2003 here is my Office2k3.bat file

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Office 2003 Professional
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\APPS\OP2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=OP2003.MST /qb-

as you might notice I changed some paths and filenames. after It wasn't installing i went into dos mode to look around. I was having trouble in dos window typing long pathnames/filenames and shortened them to get it to work in dos mode.

when I install this, I get the full windows installation just fine. I just don't get anything from the office stuff except when it finishes copying the windows files to the HD, the progress bar disappears and I notice it keeps copying files to the hard drive and they are the office files. but I never see anything about installing office files and don't get any errors of anykind. it just installs windows normally and that's it. then it reboots and asks me to log in and says it is configuring my account and proceeds to windows.?

Is this the proper way to install Office 2003? I don't know how else to setup the install batch files correctly and couldn't seem to find an example anywhere on the forums or the unattend help files.

can anyone help me please. This is driving me nuts.

Thanks

-=Mark=-

unattended.msfn.org

Could help you.

Also, i think you need the full path to the Transform file.

yeah, I went through the office 2003 part of the link. but it wasn't clear at all about the batch files and where they go and how to setup everything for it to install office 2003 unttended.

I did try the full path for the transform file, but it didn't work either. I even went and ran the batch file manually and it just started and exited without error or doing anything? I even reran the custom installation wizard again, but no luck yet?

does anyone have a sample files and settings and options on their office 2003pro unattend install?

I also read that GuiRunOnce wants a batch file of *.cmd and afterf recreating my .bat to .cmd files. it still reports and does nothing. and win xp pro installs and runs fine.

-=Mark=-

ok, I just did the RunOnceEx.cmd method and cmdow comes up and it goes to the office install and then stops for about 2-3 secs then continues on with out installing. I even went to my install directory and double clicked on my OP2003.bat file and I saw it execute it just fine, it just didn't install anything or give any errors of any kind.

I've ran the custon install wiz several times thinking I misconfiged something? but I didn't change anything except the entering product key and the EULA.

here's my RunOnceEx.cmd file:

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Office 2003 Pro" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Apps\OP2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=%systemdrive%\install\APPS\OP2003\Unattended.MST /qb-" /f

EXIT

let me know if it looks OK or not?

-=Mark=-

So far, you haven't got any errors indicating the problem. Why don't you put a PAUSE command in your "OP2003.cmd"?

cls

@echo off

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Apps\OP2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

PAUSE

EXIT

Run this CMD manually and see if you get an error reported. Make sure paths are correct. Let me know the result.

So far, you haven't got any errors indicating the problem. Why don't you put a PAUSE command in your "OP2003.cmd"?
cls

@echo off

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Apps\OP2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

PAUSE

EXIT

Run this CMD manually and see if you get an error reported. Make sure paths are correct. Let me know the result.

OK, here's how it went down:

1st. I ran the batch file manually from windows after adding the pause command and same thing, nothing.

2nd. I tried to remove the - at the end of the setup install file. so it read /qb instaed of /qb- and it said invalid product key. I knew that wasn't the problem as I've made half a dozen or so .MST files, so I reran the custom installation wizard again and triple check the product code and reburnned the DVD. good thing I went down and bouight a 5 pack of DVD+RW :D .

3rd. reboot and same thing as I expected, nothing. modified the batch file again with pause and removed the minus sign and manually ran batch file from window. this time it said I couldn't run in silent mode on retail version? I double checked the help file and sure enough it said I could run it in retail mode, but my version didn't read the install file :D

4th. removed the /qb- completely and reran and got most of the way through the setup (the manual setup had all the fields entered for me, I just had to hit enter.) then just when it looked like it was going to start installing Office... BAM... retail versions doesn't support the custom installation wizard error message. :)

someone might want to update the advanced unattended install help file for office 2003 pro. or someone with a retail version test it on their setup and verify if it works for them.

I guess I will try the simple install next. wish me luck :rolleyes:

-=Mark=-

Oh yes.

Then, you have got the retail version!! I couldn't guess it because there's a clear notice on that page saying:

From the Office Resource Kit site: Only editions of Office 2003 acquired through a Volume License agreement or other non-retail channel allow you to create an administrative installation point. You cannot run Setup.exe in administrative mode ( /a ) with an Office 2003 retail edition.

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/office2003_advanced.htm

Sorry for that.

Oh yes.

Then, you have got the retail version!! I couldn't guess it because there's a clear notice on that page saying:

From the Office Resource Kit site: Only editions of Office 2003 acquired through a Volume License agreement or other non-retail channel allow you to create an administrative installation point. You cannot run Setup.exe in administrative mode ( /a ) with an Office 2003 retail edition.

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/office2003_advanced.htm

Sorry for that.

Yes, I understood that part of it. but i wasn't using the setup.exe in administrative mode. I was refering to the next 2 sentences after that, the part about skipping to section 3.

If you cannot make an Administrative Installation Point, you will not be able to slipstream the latest updates into it. However, you can still customize Office 2003's installation by going to Section 3.

But it won't accept anything in section 3 either. which was the only section I used.

Thanks

-=Mark=-

• 2 weeks later...