How to overclock the Barton?

premier69

I have a Soltek SL-75FRN2-nforce2 mainboard with twinmos 400mHz ddr ram

and the amd barton 2500+

how do i clock it to something around the 2800+ - 3000+ range?

i tried yesterday by changing the FSB to200 but then i set the cpu at 3200+ and i lowered it to 166 now running at 2500+

i changed the cpu multiplier to like 5.0 and it set the cpu to 3200, I then changed the cpu multiplier to 11.5 and still 3200+

anyone know how to help?

the bios is from the late november of 2003 (28th i think)

and the reason why i dont just set it at 3200+ is becouse my ram isn't good enough for it, i tried the program super pi in windows which couldn't finnish the test.

Your RAM cant handle it?

Your ram is suppose to support a 200Mhz FSB, running it at 3200 speeds should be easy as pie.

I have the same processor as you, easily overclocked it to 3200 speeds(11x200), and i still have low temps(no higher then 43c)

CPU would have to be able to handle at least those speeds. You may need a better cooling solution, and that is wht it crashing. To O/C you need a good heatsink

the fan is as said earlier an arctic cooling copper, it can cool 3200+

the ram can't handle it? i don't know. but it couldn't finish a pi calculation.

the cooling is sufficient, right?

in addition i have another 80mm chassis fan sucking out the air right where the cpu is located.

the fan is as said earlier an arctic cooling copper, it can cool 3200+

the ram can't handle it? i don't know. but it couldn't finish a pi calculation.

the cooling is sufficient, right?

in addition i have another 80mm chassis fan sucking out the air right where the cpu is located.

... when you o/c, it doesnt mean that it will give out as much heat as that same model would.

In other words:

2500 oc'ed to 3200 = Hotter than 3200

You need a better cooling solution

And, you misunderstood. YOUR RAM IS JUST FINE, IT'S STOCK SPEEDS ARE SEFFECIENT FOR THE 200MHZ FSB

ah sorry.

what would you recommend?

This cooler should be sufficient too, although the better the cooling solution, the cooler the CPU will run. (and the cooler it runs, the longer it lives, however this isn't been entirely proved)

Please higher your vCore, this is the voltage that goes to your CPU. IMHO 1.7 or 1.75 V wouldn't be too high for your cooler. Please try to boot at 3200+ speeds with 1.7 V.

Also higher the RAM voltage to 2.8 V, this won't have ANY bad effects, as it's been built to work at this voltage. (most motherboards set 2.6 V as standard).

Please note that a higher CPU voltages also comes with more heat that has to be dissipated. I'd strongly recommend you not to go higher than 1.75 V with your cooling.

hey all thanks for all your help!

I set the vcore at 1.7v

I set the Dimm at 2.8v

I set the MP at 11.0

And the FSB at 200

i have this feature on my soltek mainboard, at first it was set as optimal but i highered it to agressive (i changed some values for the ram)

These settings put the cpu at 3200+, while this is fine and it finished super pi in record 49sec time compared to 55 before, it really runs stable and faster.

My question is, how do i lower the overclock? i still haven't managed to clock it to any other speeds than 3200+, say 3000+

hey all thanks for all your help!

I set the vcore at 1.7v

I set the Dimm at 2.8v

I set the MP at 11.0

And the FSB at 200

i have this feature on my soltek mainboard, at first it was set as optimal but i highered it to agressive (i changed some values for the ram)

These settings put the cpu at 3200+, while this is fine and it finished super pi in record 49sec time compared to 55 before, it really runs stable and faster.

My question is, how do i lower the overclock? i still haven't managed to clock it to any other speeds than 3200+, say 3000+

Just wondering, WHY would you want a lower overclock? Temp issues? Shouldn't be a problem with 1,7V Vcore.

If I were you I'd go for a _higher_ overclock, instead of a lower one...

(your cpu has still some headroom I think)

This is more detailed info on the current health of the system.

btw, i thought this might be a tad too high but i guess not, anyways the question still remains, why cant i choose clock speed?

and oh, i cant go below 10 in the multiplier or the computer wont boot.

post-5-1091885057_thumb.jpg

Is that temp with a full stressed cpu?

It's up to you to decide if it's okay for you that your cpu haets up to about 60°C or higher. Most people don't want it gets hotter than 50, with 55 absolute maximum. This does NOT mean the cpu can't stand this temp long...

AMD recommends not to go above 85 degrees C...

• 11 months later...

about my last question, does anyone have an answer? it seems I can't higher or lower the speed beyond the original 2500+ or overclocked mode 3200+

further more, I had to buy new ram 6 months ago since the older ones developed problems.

I had memory diagnostic programs find errors in the ram, programs and games where very unstable in windows.

What I always do with overclocking is test how far each of the variables can go.

For instance, dropping the multiplier once or twice from stock, then upping the FSB as high as possible (with the FSB of the ram at 1:1 - has to be on socket A for performance reasons).

FSB speed is the biggest factor for overall system performance on socket A systems. Try and get this high as possible.

Your ram can do 200 fsb stock settings but to go higher means more voltage and slacking of memory timings.

After upping the FSB, at a certain level. Boot into windows and stress the CPU out with a program like prime95. Once you have found your highest FSB speed without raising the voltage to a dangerous level then start playing with the multiplier.

The chip should reach its max way before the memory does though, just dont be affraid to loose lower multipliers than stock if you can get that FSB right up!.

Also, the reason for it still being at 3200 speeds is because using a 11.5 multiplier would be above its default of 11. 99% is that your barton is locked.

You can always try mods like the L2 mod

http://www.geocities.com/trats102002/nf7sFsbsense.html

To overclock a barton, you either have to have one before a certain week (forgot the exact week) as these were unlocked (can have a higher multiplier) or get a mobile which are also unlocked and run on lower voltage. Also the Abit NF7 or DFI Lanparty Ultra B as these were the best socket A clockers there was!

Edited by Mekrel