Removing Guest Account

ME2U

under nt4 there was a utility called delguest which actually deleted the guest account, it didnt work under win2k thou however i have successfully used it under winxp by using compatability mode for nt4.

search for delguest am sure you will find some more info on it.

Glad to see you got rid of it,

however the guest account is disabled by default and even if it was activated

by a user they would have very little permissions on the local system.

Therefore to remove the guest account is a sign you are taking security very seriously. If your taking it this seriously and your users are capable of opening up a needless account then you really should have either domain or local group policy

protecting the more sensitive parts of the o/s

However like i said, glad you got what your looking for

CB

if you delete the guest account im guessing your going to use the admin account?

if you want to rename the admin account and use it as if its the only account on the whole machine how would i do this?

and is there a way to keep from having to make a guest account cause when you install windows it makes you enter a name for the new account.

In other words what is the best way to get windows installed with nothing but one account that being the admin account, then using that admin account as your primary account.

im not in need of any guest accounts just me on my computer.

If you find a way to remove all the accounts except one admin please let me know

as its my understanding that you cannot delete the default admin account and atleast one other account must be created during install which will also have admin rights.

Cheers

CB

What I did with the admin account was to rename it under control panel/administrative tools/Computer Management/Local Users and Groups/Users/Right Click Menu and select rename. The only issue here is the admin folder in documents and settings is not renamed.

• 2 weeks later...

To get rid of the Admin account:

Use renuser.exe. I've used it 3 times now, no problems. It understands only two parameters:

Renuser.exe Administrator Yourname

Where of course Yourname is the name that Administrator is to be changed to. Check http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=126040 for download links and info...

@Curv Boll:

Don't know if it's possible to remove all accounts but admin. But I'm on my way :). I now have only two accounts: Peter (originally Administrator) and Guest. I'm now going to check out the tool from above and see if I can delete the Guest account as well.

ps. The only way to make sure Windows doesn't bug you about creating additional accounts (minimum =1) is to use an unattended setup. See http://unattended.msfn.org for more info on this.

Okay, deleting the Guest-account worked. But I'm going to use this for my unattended setup, so would anyone know if there is a way to run this program in NT4 compatibility mode from the command-line? I know I can create a shortcut and use the shortcut to run it in compatibility mode...

start /wait shortcut.lnk

Would launch the program as I want it, but these *.lnk-files use absolute paths... How would I overcome this? I could of course just dump the shortcut in my setup, and search/replace it with the correct path, but I don't think anything like that would work... So is there a way to run a program in compatibility mode from the command-line, with a switch for example?