ohcil1394.sys problem

mark

Used version 98.4 for a new install and got a message that ohci1394.sys could not be found and setup failed. Using XP home, didn't take much out with nLite. Used version .97, no problems and I did remove a bit more from XP with that one. Don't ask me exactly what I took out. Can't remember, to confusing. This stuff makes my head spin. Lucky I got back here. :)

Hmmmm, Firewire. Ringing a bell. Probably did. I don't use that. I think I removed that from the .97 version also. But not sure. Thank you MCT.

I'll do that. And I also will burn to a different HD and see what the results are. If that works, then I will also try really cutting Windows down and see what happens. Fun experiment. This is a great forum. Thanks MCT.

DaLurker, nLite keeps a file called selected.ini in the nLite Program Files directory. This has a list of all the components you removed, files kept, settings specified... So if someone asks you what you removed to produce this error, you can attach that file to the forum. Nuhi will likely be able to assist you later on when he comes online.

1394 in the filename...surely a FireWire driver file. I have to have those installed because I do a lot of video editing with my camcorder. :)

Doh!!! At home now. Wiped everything out when I re-installed. Brain cramp. :) (smiley show the look on my face as I try to fathom what I am doing)

sounds like u removed the firewire drivers? or another driver?

FYI: I just experienced this same problem when buiilding from XP SP2 RC2 using 98.4b. I too removed the firewire drivers... So I went back and tried again, this time not selecting the firewire drivers for removal... this fixed it :)

I am pretty sure that this problem did not exist when removing the firewire drivers from version .97 through 98.3.

Ok...so it may be a problem with newest sp2 or ?

I'm not getting it and i always remove Firewire but i don't have 2162...only 2149, english.

One of you with that problem may attach zipped txtsetup.inf before reduction but after slipstream...ok ? So that i get 2162 version for testing.

Ok...so it may be a problem with newest sp2 or ?
I don't think its related to SP version... as I am only using SP2 RC2
One of you with that problem may attach zipped txtsetup.inf before reduction but after slipstream...ok ?

I could provide it... but I'm sure it won't help you, as I know you have access to SP2 RC2 (which is version 2149, I think)...

Besides... I enabled a bunch of experimental feautures... but if you still need something from me... like my .ini... then just ask :)

@DaLurker download this tool and use it to back up your firewire drivers, look for your main drivers and this one (net1394) it should be listed at the bottom net1394 is needed in order for your firewire to run at all.

http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

@nuhi if you could figure a way to leave just the net1394 driver then you could use your main drivers just fine with having to install two drivers

Any how i hope this helps (that program will let you back up any driver you need)

@Famer,

Ok, I will try to do that. I will also try to use 98.4 AND I will try to keep the file that has the changes I make to Windows by burning WinXP to a second HD and burning a copy to disk.

@nuhi,

I'll try.

On an aside, on the install I did with 97 and Files and Settings transfer, a video driver didn't get moved, neither off the reduced Windows disk or the F and S disk. But the problem may have been due to using a Mac monitor on a PC. Just one of those things that makes you go get the newest driver. A second thing was after the install and all was fixed and running well, on my second or third day of start ups, Windows loaded and went straight to the desktop which it should not have done. I have my computer load up and ask for a password and it didn't. It just went straight to the desktop. I went in a gave it the password again and it has been fine ever since.

Just keep in mind that what ever I do is part of an experiment. Mine!!!! I don't completely follow everything you guys and gals say, but I try. If it gets to a point where I understand what to do, then I will be able to explain it to the next id***. (Did I say that correctly? :) )

I got some error about missing 1394 drivers initially too... I had removed stuff with nLite from my plain old XP source, then reopened the reduced source in nLite, slipstreamed SP1, and removed additional components. Starting over again with the regular source, slipstreaming, and THEN removing the components fixed it.

@ChiDragon

I had followed the same procedure as you did. I do think it had to do with the deleting of a driver like the firewire. I have made a new install disk with .98.4 and and going to do a setup with the new disk. This one is also slipstreamed with SP2. Just messing around to see what happens. Saved some .ini files but they are at the house. Will post after install and all goes well. :)

@Famer

I downloaded the tool. Nice. I had already figured out and downloaded the new drives I needed but it was nice to get a confirmation on what I had done. Only needed three. The rest were handled by windows.<wonders if there is something out there to reduce 'Files and Settings transfer'>

@nuhi or anyone

Stupid question. How do you know which version you are working with? 2164 or others? A lot of this is new to me and a little confusing. I have a hard enough time trying to keep track of what is on which disk. Try to organize but it keeps changing with each install. Looked at VMware. Mmmm. Not for me. Couldn't find another virtual machine for pc's. Will eventually try the two drive method.

Eventually, I am going to have a disk I like. Thanks nuhi and all the rest of you. I am getting more out of this than just a disk.