This is what differentiates MSFN from others

prathapml

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYY !!!!!!!

A mile-stone of a thousand posts on MSFN for me (actually it's a "WHOOOSHHH!!!" number - 2^10, i.e., a binary-denominative 1024).

A big cheers to the entire group of people who have done their best to ensure that I (and everybody else who stumbles over to these forums) have a good time and enjoy my stay here (this doesn't mean I'm going away...).

This set me thinking on the following lines:

What sets MSFN forums apart from others (that I/We like it so much) ?

I would like all you regular MSFN-ers to speak out on the above. Please keep in mind that we only want to hear nice things (grrrrr..... don't dare talk about what could possibly be negative here).

######################

######################

Personally, my reply to the above question would be:

1. Simplicity and speed

It's no-clutter layout is refreshing! And the sensible (without excessive over-use) usage of graphics is a blessing for fast browsing.

2. Ease of use

The arrangement of the entire site's UI facilitates quick sifting of information, and finding what you want. The threads' display and organization is also simply superb!

3. The friendly nature of you all

Finally, who can forget the contribution that the users of a site's board make towards its standing. Everybody here is willing to help at any point of time, and the entire community pitches in to see that any queries posted get resolved. We seem to have built up a vast repository of truly useful info - and without too many major incidences of flaming/ego-clashes,etc. at that - is an amazing achievement. Here you can find demonstrative proof that knowledge is the only commodity that swells when shared.

I genuinely believe that all the technical info available/posted here, and all the member-projects (which materialise at the drop of a hat) hosted here; would have mattered little to draw people (to sign up) towards MSFN, if it were not for the factors mentioned above.

knowledge is the only commodity that swells when shared.

No! There are other things that can swell if shared, but not to mention here. :)

And yes, I agree with you on why MSFN is a good place. You're a helpful member, too.

When you get this many extremely knowledgeable people together in the same place, where they can share that knowledge, and where they can also ask questions of the other members, you already have a valuable resource. When that resource makes respect a standard, not through rules, but through the general agreement of the people on the board, the end result is none other than....MSFN! :)

I only started posting a month ago because I realized that all the help I was getting anonymously from everyone was going unpaid. That's the general feeling people get when they come here: "They help me this much, why not add my own bits of knowledge to the whole?" And suddenly you end up with the definitive source of information on a host of different subjects, contributed by people who actually know what they're talking about.

*suddenly feels meager post count...*

Google's got nothing on MSFN!

And thanks for all your contributions, Prathapml, and everyone else on the board!

:rolleyes:

When you get this many extremely knowledgeable people together in the same place, where they can share that knowledge, and where they can also ask questions of the other members, you already have a valuable resource. When that resource makes respect a standard, not through rules, but through the general agreement of the people on the board, the end result is none other than....MSFN! :)

I only started posting a month ago because I realized that all the help I was getting anonymously from everyone was going unpaid. That's the general feeling people get when they come here: "They help me this much, why not add my own bits of knowledge to the whole?" And suddenly you end up with the definitive source of information on a host of different subjects, contributed by people who actually know what they're talking about.

*suddenly feels meager post count...*

Google's got nothing on MSFN!

And thanks for all your contributions, Prathapml, and everyone else on the board!

:rolleyes:

Nice speech!

This is also the reason I've become a member and also why I'm wasting my time on those driverpacks....

I started checking it out for the info on unattended installs and nLite. Then I noticed it covered a lot of things I'm interested in, so I signed up and it's been educational. Won't be too long and I'll be at 2^6 (64). Only 4 to go. I'm halfway there! :)

I stumbled on this site. Everyone here is lightyears ahead of me on what they know about MS, computers and everything to do with them. I read numerous posts and decided to join. I had a little treppidation upon entering. I felt like a lamb in a lions den. I should have had no worries. The broad handedness of the help and friendliness from anyone who is present, be they new or forum leaders, is a very pleasant change of pace from daily life. I must say that the more knowlegable(sp? on anything I have written) are very generous with their time. The number of posts a person makes here should be an indicator of how much they help and participate. So, congratulations prathapml. :) and well said.

A few things that make MSFN great:

Good, Relevant, Clean, Legal Fun

Everyone is extremely friendly to each other (and definately no explosions of anger), most things stay on topic and therefore are appropriate for any child to read, and everything is legal.

International Community

Lots of people from lots of countries (and the fact that we can easily see that).

Quick Response

I've seen other boards where it has taken weeks or even months for people to resopnd to urgent problems, but here I can expect an excellent response in a day but usually less.

Last but not least:

Desktop Screenshots

This board has the most impressive desktop screenshots I have ever seen, at because of that, it is my favorite topic.

A question which beats me since a long time.

A thought that crosses my mind whenever I see the below:

Have any of you noticed, that most other forums have a large "funnies" section? Members go there and keep posting "LOL"s away - and end up with truly gigantic post counts. And then, there are those primarily news-based sites (like ne0w!n) where you see members flaming each other to the bone, like cats and dogs - over the smallest issue and over age-old duopoly market products. Somehow, we don't seem to be prone to such tendencies (is it because of the general profile of our members?). We don't have too much free time to whittle away aimlessly (well..... atleast *SOME* of us, that is :)) - we have real things and real jobs to attend to/take care of. Maybe the nature of the subject of our discussions dis-courages trolling. Unlike other forums, where 500 posts is pretty low and there are hundred/tens of members with post-counts running into multi-thousands - here, a member with 50 posts is a pretty great one. Because, remember we talk only useful things, not junk. You, blessed boys and girls, somehow do keep an ear tuned to the ground, and are sensitive to everybody - I've noticed that!

Okay, the paragraph above has ended up being a large mass of words, but you know the general drift of what I mean.....

Okay, the paragraph above has ended up being a large mass of words, but you know the general drift of what I mean.....

However I haven't tought about it as much as (it seems :)) you did, I have to say it's very correct what you're saying.

Most/many members of MSFN don't post if they don't know a good or useful answer. On other fora, it's indeed _kind of_ different...

I hope I can still read other fora without being annoyed from now on... :rolleyes: