'ntoskrnl.exe' is missing in my Win2k...Pls help

Hi,

2 days ago, I replaced my new rams inside my pc and did some tweaking on my cpu & ram.(basically oc) Did a couple of cold boot due to freeze.(trial & error, try to sync both fbs) After that, it just suddenly popped an error message " <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe". The windows won't boot! :)

I just don understand why I change the setting of the hardwares and they affect the os win2k. :rolleyes: Does anyone encounter this problem?

u could try restoring the file via commandline booting 2 your cd & select F2 i think it is 2 repair windows

next, type

Xcopy "X:\i386\NTOSKRNL.EX_" "%Windir%\Temp\NTOSKRNL.EX_"
then

Expand -r "%Systemdrive%\Temp\NTOSKRNL.EX_" "%Systemdrive%\Temp\NTOSKRNL.EXE"

xcopy "%Systemdrive%\Temp\NTOSKRNL.exe" "%windir%\System32\ntoskrnl.exe" /Y

i think that will work

Note: i wouldnt OC if i were u, seems like its causing 2 many problems :)

Replace X: with your cdrom drive the windows cd is in

regards

Hi MCT,

Thanks for the reply. I will try that. Did you encounter this problem before when you oc your pc? Just curious... :)

I mean what is the chances that if you tweak the hardwares and they corrupt the os. :rolleyes: I thought if tweak the os and chance of corrupt is high.

Did you encounter this problem before when you oc your pc? Just curious... :)
I'm not MCT, but yes - when I OC'd my PC too much, I did face an OS corruption. Everything else was fine (the BIOS/data/etc.), just the windows wouldn't boot.

I over-clocked to a large extent (gradually, in steps of 1 MHz), and everything was working perfectly - but at some point it touched its limit of stability and my windows did not boot anymore (nor did Linux).

Did a repair-mode from CD (you can also do a re-install) and was back in action.

Hi MCT & prathapml,

I o/c my pc about 1 1/2 yrs ago when I bought it. That time my pc was running 2600 o/c. (CPU is AMD TB 2200) 512m x 1 twinmos ram. Gradually I feel that my pc's resources are being ate up by the applications. Especially playing games I can see the game actually take some time to load and not run smoothly. :D

Therefore, I decided to upgrade the ram to 1G. Then Geil ram was coming to the pic and I bougth an ultra ver. PC400 512 x 2, to make good use of dual channel. The performance shall one great step improve, to all. But due to the FBS is different,(cpu=166, Geil memory=200Mhz)I try to set them @ same FBS. :D

From that onwards, I got a couples of freeze, load 1/2way and didn't succefully load to windows. Last nite, I played the setting again. Couple hours late, one of the cold boot, BANG! I got an error message "ntoskrnl.exe is missing" and it couldn't boot. :)

I just don't understand why setting the hardwares and will corrupt the os. :rolleyes: