AMD Mobile processsors

techguy21801

As long as the the motherboard supports it. I stuck a Mobile XP CPU in a board that apparently didn't support it, and it registered as an 800MHz Athlon.

Check your motherboard maker for a CPU compatibility list.

Mobile Athlon XP-M are the best to come of the production line.

The regular Athlon XP is identical in every way, but has powersaving tech disabled and multiplier locked. A mobile XP-M in a desktop board is an overclockers dream because of this, and the fact that they require less voltage for the same clockspeed.

It's compatible with regular Athlon XP motherboards if it has a Socket A socket. I know there's a special socket for them which doesn't fit regular mobo's, but I haven't seen one yet.

P.S.: I've got a mobile too :)

It's physically and electrically compatible with all socket A motherboards, but if the motherboard BIOS doesn't have the voltage and multiplier map for the CPUID value, then the board will "test" and accept the lowest settings the CPU, unaware that the multiplier and voltage can be altered on the fly, and leaving it set at it's lowest settings.

It's compatible with regular Athlon XP motherboards if it has a Socket A socket. I know there's a special socket for them which doesn't fit regular mobo's, but I haven't seen one yet.

P.S.: I've got a mobile too :)

It's physically and electrically compatible with all socket A motherboards, but if the motherboard BIOS doesn't have the voltage and multiplier map for the CPUID value, then the board will "test" and accept the lowest settings the CPU, unaware that the multiplier and voltage can be altered on the fly, and leaving it set at it's lowest settings.

I know, but were there really NO exceptions, I mean no mobile axp cpu's with different sockets?

like Intel AMD may have ball grid array processors for embedded computers and extremely small notebooks or tablets. They need to be soldered to the mainboard and I don't believe you can buy them retail....

Other than that: if the CPUID isn't recognized you would still be able to set FSB, Voltage and multiplier from your mainboard if the BIOS allows you to. If you are going to overclock you need to disable the autosettings anyway...

Mobile Athlon XP-M are the best to come of the production line.
That's true (I think).

With my current AthlonXP 2400+ (non-mobile), I am able to overclock the FSB (which is potentially dangerous if you have low-quality components) to raise the speed from its native 2 GHz to a frequency of 2340 MHz.

Imagine then, the possibilities with an Athlon XP-Mobile!

The regular Athlon XP is identical in every way, but has powersaving tech disabled and multiplier locked. A mobile XP-M in a desktop board is an overclockers dream because of this, and the fact that they require less voltage for the same clockspeed.