Copying files from CD in WinPe

simonagraham

Hi

I am new to WinPe and I am trying to use it to install Windows Server 2003.

The problem I am having is that in most cases, DHCP will not be available and therefore I cannot rely on copying files from a network drive. I therefore want to boot to WinPE, format the disk and copy all files from CD's to the hard drive and initiate the unattended installation.

I have noticed from many posts that the source files are added to the WinPE CD - the problem with this is that I cannot fit all files required onto the WinPe CD.

Therefore, I want to prompt the operator to insert CD's to copy them to the C Drive. My initial effrots end up with WinPe hanging because I have removed the WInPe Cd from the CD drive. Using aDVD is not an option.

Has anyone done this - do I need to create / use a RAMDrive? If so - how?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Simon

You can use a tool like nlite to reduce the size of the install, also you can write a batch file to install the OS from a CD if you want. There is a tool for BartPE that allows you to use two disks. Putting PE in RAM will not be available until 2003 SP1 PE ships, ie. PE 1.6.

Yes, using a RAM disk is what will solve your problem.

If I remember right, there is some facility to load WinPE/bartPE into a RAMdrive - you could search on the 911cd forums for more WinPE info.

A hint to get you started - you need the "/inram" switch in the boot.ini to run PE in <load to RAM drive> mode.

There are a couple of reasons why I don't want the source files on the WinPE

1. Knowing Micorosoft, when SP1 for W2003 is released it will bloat the i386 folder even further, I therefore dont want to develop a solution that will not work after the first SP is released.

2. I also want to include some post installation applications. I want to copy all of these to C: before the installation is stasrted, therefore the installation will be fully automated rather than prompting for CD's after the intial installation of W2003

Thanks

(Ps - Cheers - a very english way of saying thank-you!!!)

here is some info from a cd, http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=14952&st=0, a little more indepth than you need but, the idea is the same.

1.) I am planning on slipping a 2003 cd w/SP1 and see how large it is I think it is around 680mb.

from SP1 beta website:

Enterprise Server Integrated - w2k3sp1_1218_usa_x64fre_ads.iso (532.92 MB)
So I am assuming that 32bit should be a little larger.

2.)If you wanted to add extra apps you do need to copy them to the HD because PE and the variables in winnt.sif don't get along.

Hi there

Thanks for all your replies so far - but I am still struggling......

I want to be able to copy the sourcefiles for OS and Apps to the C drive before starting the unattended install of W2003.

However, the machine inconsistently hangs when I take the CD out and put the source files Cd in.

I have tried the /INRAM switch and i thought I ahd solved it, but every so often, if I suddenly move the mouse, etc after the WinPE CD has been removed it will hang.

I have copied the WinPE i386 directory to C: and run the batch files using the CMD.EXE file from c:, I have changed the path variable to point to C:\i386, etc and stil it hangs.

Any ideas? Is this possible?

Ok I am confused, so you now have 2 cd's? server 2003's I386 folder will fit onto the CD with PE, and with SP1 also. The inram switch is prone to problems. So in my opinion putting both on the PE cd are your best bet. You may also be able to save some more space by building the pe disc with 2003 source files using cdimage and the -o switch to cross reference the files so duplicates will be only be on the disc once. As for your worries about SP1 and size there should not be an issue, and even if so there are many ways to reduce the size of pe by about 40mb's or more.

I am just worried that in the future - if I add additional drivers to support new servers, additonal service packs, etc then eventually the files will not fit on the CD.

For certain servers, I would also like to copy over the applicaiton sources files before the unattended install - i.e Exchange or SQL files. This will need additional CD's. Otherwise I will have to prompt for more CD's after the OS has installed and therefore making the installation 'less' unattended!

However, if /INRAM doesn't work and no-one else has done this before - it looks like I will have to rethink my strategy!!

Thanks again

Simon

Your best bet is to bite the bullet and get on the network.

Use the Netconfig tool (it's on this forum somewhere). It will let you config a static ip. Or Put up a dhcp server when you build a new system.

It's a whole new world with network connectivity.

Can you use DVD? Thats an option as well.

Chris

2003 server loaded with unattend and added apps

I used Pyron way to get the drivers loaded before install.

then use the winnt.sif file for unattend

also load Mcafee from runonce section...

if you use this way then you can still have a $oem$ folder which copy's all files within it to the OS on the Root

2 CD install look here http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=8381

• 2 weeks later...

@Twindude- Since I have networks at home and work I don't use the I386 on a cd unattended but I am curious as to how you got it to work, due to the fact that the last time I gave it a shot, albiet only once, the install would never go due to the variables in the winnt.sif file, any info here will help other out. Thanks

And then maybe when I get some motivation I will try it. Now I am trying to figure out winpe 1.5..... :)