SP2 set to go Gold in August

TigerWolf

HOORAY for SP2.

Finally gets released, after an extended wait of more than a year!

I just hope it stays stable, though (shouldn't need a critical patch to use it right on the 3rd day after RTM).

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewstory.php?t=30892

Although Microsoft has called Windows XP SP2 a service pack, analysts have said that the update really is more comparable to a Windows upgrade. SP2 contains bug fixes and updates, but it also offers new features and makes significant changes to the Windows software in four main areas: network protection, memory protection, email security and browsing security.

i'm not sure what to think but anyway i will need to wait more for the spanish release (someone can explain me why it's german the second language developed??!! :) )

so i'll think that the italian version will be the last to be released :)

don't worry about it. i remember that sp1 came out in spanish a couple of weeks after the english version (still it's annoying that there isn't a multilingual release date :rolleyes: )

well, gotta remember who makes the software :)

English, Japanese and German........Indian workers. The only reason there isn't a Indian (don't know the proper designation, but people from India) release is because of the poverty level in the country. my guess anyways.

well, gotta remember who makes the software :rolleyes:

English, Japanese and German........Indian workers. The only reason there isn't a Indian (don't know the proper designation, but people from India) release is because of the poverty level in the country. my guess anyways.

it's a good point but what i always supposed it's that the major market will be the first in release and if spanish it's the 2nd more spoken language in the world... what about french (the second world official language)?? don't know, anyway back to topic it's a minor wait for that "big" update :)

indeed.....i personally can't wait to rip it apart. That's always the best part. Not updating the system, but breaking it and figuring out why it broke :)

And on the note of official languages.....

I think it's more of a business thing. If most of your customers speak a language, you update that first. I'm sure if spanish had more copies of Windows XP then German, Spanish would come out before German....

it's a good point but what i always supposed it's that the major market will be the first in release and if spanish it's the 2nd more spoken language in the world... what about french (the second world official language)?? don't know, anyway back to topic it's a minor wait for that "big" update :rolleyes:

spanish is only the second language here in the USA, other than that its not a very popular language anywhere else, i am from europe and i can confrim this for you :)

well, gotta remember who makes the software :)

That's called going overboard without knowing about what you are talking.

Firstly, India is not the the pitiful,miserable country mired in poverty that some people seem to think. Secondly, India is not a shark preparing to eat up foreign jobs either (as propaganda in the US seems to suggest). It is a normal country, with as many problems and good points as any other democratic nation.

I suppose forums like these are what open your mind to a global outlook, and picking up good practices is an option we all ought to exercise - instead of continuing to stereotype people. I am proud to be Indian

[END OF RANT]

OK, now I ease up. As for why there isn't an Indian-ised version of Windows:

• 1. There isn't a mono-language called "Indian". We have a multi-lingual culture, and each region here speaks its own language (Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, etc.) - 80 languages in all.
  • 2. Predictably, each of the above languages have varying number of speakers, the largest being Hindi with 350 million.
  • 3. Now, let's see how many people speak one of the smaller european languages - that fact will tell you that, Microsoft in its arrogance never bothered to localise their software for India (unlike their arabic/spanish/french/german/japanese editions) despite the presence of numbers.
  • 4. The language of elitism has been english since a century (because of the legacy of british rule) - and common-sense says that computing was the preserve of the elite at first. Although now the common people have access to PCs, the supremacy of knowledge of english is re-inforced by MS's blatant profit-motives.
  • 5. The average man on the street would still prefer to not pay for his OS, and pirate it - and he knows english. The man who doesn't know english, is, well, not in a position to buy a PC at all, nor visit an internet parlour ("poverty" as you said). So MS doesn't have an incentive to develop "Windows for Hindi" and such editions. But then, I guess they haven't heard of the concept of corporate responsibility either (after sucking the blood out of the Indians they employ as slaves - sorry, programmers).

@prathapml thanks, i didn't know anything about the indians until today :)

anyway i'm sure that Alanoll didn't want to offend you, i think he only talks about he knows.

offtopic: can you translate me what does it mean "Mundian to Bachke" from Punjabi MC :rolleyes: