Windows XP partitioning suggestions wanted

TigerWolf

Like alot of you, i will be doing a fresh install when SP2 comes out. I have my unnattended WinXP PRO cd ready for slipstreaming.

What i want to know is how should i partition my drive? I have a 60 gig and a 120 gig. Im going to be installing XP on the 60 gig and i want to know how i should partition it.

I have been told that i should leave 30 gig for XP, 2 gig for page file and 20 or so gig for other stuff, but my problem is that i have also been told that i shouldnt put the page file on a partition on the same HDD, i would like to clear this up and see what you recomend.

And my final question, should i use the WinXP partition thing that comes up when i install? or use something else.

P.S i know what filesysyem to use, just asking bout partitioning

i used partition magic to partition my 60GB hdd. I have my partitioned in this order:

c:9.31 gb - windows install

d:9.31 gb - work folders and music

e:38.60 gb - backup images of office, xp, and backup of music and folders.

you could do it like mine since it is the same size- 60 gb :)

Practical common-sense dictates that your OS (at this point of time) partition should not be more than 10 GB. Set the swapfile onto your other HDD (as you already said, so there's no need for a 2 GB partition on the 60gig).

Partition the rest of the space into not more than 15 GB each. These policies are recommended for manageability of data, and to minimize the attack surface (i.e., even if 1 of your partitions was completely wiped out by a virus, your data on other partitions is still present).

Several questions raised in my mind...

Is there a way to set the swap file to another drive during install (normal or unassisted) - or do I need to manually move it once the system is installed?

I have the OS and Program files on my c: drive and my documents and settings folder on my d: drive.

Is there any benefit to partitioning drive c: to separate the OS and the program files into different partitions - or is that inmaterial?

Why is it better to place the swap file on another drive - away from the os?

Any problem is it is on drive d: with the d&S folder?

Should I partition d: to have a specific area for the swap file?

Thanks -

You can use this registry key to set the Swap file:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

After adjusting your Virtual Memory settings to your preference, export the above key. You can import the Reg file manually or automatically during an unanttended install.

Many users change the location of the Program Files directory to a partition or hard drive other than the system partition. I'm not sure what the benefit of doing this is. If you have to reformat and install windows, your 3rd party applications will be present on the other drive but all the registry information for these programs will have been wiped out during the re-installation and will pretty much be rendered useless.

Good luck on getting straight answer for the best method of setting up your swap file. There are many, many different opinions on the subject. I will leave you with this link, however.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php