Alternatives to Internet Explorer, Outlook Express

Wai_Wai

I would not like to use Internet Explorer(IE) and Outlook Express anymore. Are there any alternatives for me to choose?

1. About internet browser, I would like to do the following:

a. Enable me to do the following:

Move the following folders:

- history and cookies [you said yes!]

- favorites

- temporarily internet files

b. And allow me to disable the above if needed.

c. "tabbed" and "new windows" browsing

d. use less memory and system resource

e. can automatically AND correctly choose the display language codes (eg Big5, ISO, unicode) used in the webpage [NB: IE fails to do so sometimes]

f. have some methods (no matter built-in or not) transfer files and settings from IE

2. About alternate Outlook express(OE),

a. I hope it uses less memory and system resource

b. I mainly use it to read newsgroups

c. it has some methods (no matter built-in or not) transfer files and settings from OE

d. maybe someone can introduction me to some good functions, which are helpful

3. I usually get one problem. My computer gets messed up by some programs/software. When I use their own uninstallers, they don't really delete everything. Instead they leave a lot of rubbish in my folders, registry etc.

Is it possible to *safely and completely* uninstall the program? Any good software to introduce?

Or is there any method to monitor the installation when a program install? So later if I wish to uninstall, I know what changes the program made, and undo all the process easily.

:)

If you want to try e-mail alternatives, check out Eudora and IncrediMail for e-mail clients. Keep in mind they are both paid products, though. ThunderBird is a free, open-source e-mail client.

Browser alternatives:

1. IE6 has become pretty good (fantastic, in fact) with XP's SP2 updates, so you could stay with it.

2. If it's the interface and pop-ups and memory usage that's bugging you, check out these IE-based browsing shells - Maxthon, Avant - and see if it interests you.

3. If you still want to switch, check out the daddy of firefox - Mozilla.

4. Some more alternative browsers worth considering are - Opera, and K-Meleon (kmeleon is based on the same HTML renderer as mozilla - gecko).