Picasa install anyone?

blinkdt

Thanks totoymola,
The Image File Execution Options concept that you shared with us may come in handy for certain problematic installations. ;)

Edit: As a reference, the functions above are generic code and can be used in other scripts also.

Edited by MHz

[quote name='blinkdt' date='Jul 23 2004, 08:12 AM']Anyone found a way to silently install Google's photo organizer, [url="http://www.picasa.com/google/"]Picasa[/url]? I ended up using InstallRite to get the job done, but I'm curious to know of different methods that may have worked for others. I couldn't locate anything in the way of switches for the funky installer used for Picasa.
[right][post="154860"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

frist I edit picasa2-current.exe in ResHacker;
[code]XML > PAYLOAD >0[/code]
delete the lines
[code] <event>
  <type>URLVISIT</type>
  <src>http://picasa.google.com/help/welcome.html</src>
 </event>[/code]
to install I'm using a inf file

[code][Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$
AdvancedINF=2.5

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=Add_Reg
DelReg=Del_Reg

RunPreSetupCommands =RunPreEverything
RunPostSetupCommands=RunPostEverything

[Strings]
GOOGLE_KEY="Software\Google\Picasa\Picasa2\Preferences"

[Add_Reg]
HKCU,%GOOGLE_KEY%,"usesplashscreen",0x00010001,00000000
HKCU,%GOOGLE_KEY%,"AutoUpgradeCheck",0x00010001,00000000
etc
etc

[Del_Reg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run","Picasa Media Detector"

[RunPreEverything]
picasa2.exe /S

[RunPostEverything]
TASKKILL /F /IM Picasa2.exe /IM PicasaMediaDetector.exe[/code]

[quote name='a06lp' date='Oct 2 2005, 11:53 PM']any way to disable the picasa system tray thing?
[right][post="397920"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
By which method. The Inf that asbsamsf displays uses TASKKILL and removes the Run registry entry. The AutoIt script I posted blocks the process and removes the Run Registry key. If you use a DOS cmd then TASKKILL and Reg delete.

The system tray thing you mention is PicasaMediaDetector.exe.

I dont have this scripted for silent install but I do the inatall manually and then my script kills the process's associated with picasa. This is all done durring t-12. A nice side effect of this is that after reboot it does not seem the running process even has tome to add some of the registry entries as the program does not start with windows. It was an unexpected thing but It was nice.

I also kill google desktop and google talk in the same way and none of them start with windows either and I dont have to do anything special.

• 1 month later...

I don't quite get why you go trough all that trouble just to disable the internet popup. :blink:
Heres how I do it:

1. Run the setup and go to %temp%, here there will be two files named pay***.tmp.exe (mine was pay1E8.tmp.exe and pay1E9.tmp.exe)

2. Extract the smallest file and rename to whatever you want your installer to be named, this file is actually 200kb smaller than the original installer! :rolleyes:

3. Run the installer (the new one) with a /S switch, you will notice theres no internet popup! :thumbup

4. Run taskkill /f /im Picasa2.exe /im PicasaMediaDetector.exe after the install.

5. Import the necessary registry tweaks

Heres my runonceex.cmd:
[code]REG ADD %KEY%\095 /VE /D "Picasa 2.1.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\095 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\picasa2.exe /S" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\095 /V 2 /D "taskkill /f /im Picasa2.exe /im PicasaMediaDetector.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\095 /V 4 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\Software\Registry\picasa2.reg" /f[/code]

Heres my picasa2.reg
[code]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Picasa\Picasa2\Preferences]
"SupportGIF"=dword:00000001
"SupportPNG"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Picasa Media Detector"=-[/code]

SupportGIF and SupportPNG is to enable default support of gif and png files in picasa (duh!)

By the way, what is usesplashscreen and AutoUpgradeCheck registry keys for? I don't need them

Edited by tigerclaw

• 4 months later...

[quote name='MHz' post='396635' date='Sep 28 2005, 10:53 PM'][quote name='totoymola' date='Sep 29 2005, 03:17 AM']MHz is the AutoIt master here. Maybe he has a dirrerent method of doing this. :)
[right][post="396341"][/post][/right][/quote]
Ok, that sucked me in. I do not even have an interest in this program but I did a script showing your process block method totoymola.

Let me show the code that does the blocking.

This variable contains the processes to block:
[code]; Block list for annoying processes. Delimiter is |.
$processblock = 'Picasa2.exe|PicasaMediaDetector.exe|notepad.exe|iexplore.exe|firefox.exe'[/code]

Just before install Picasa, this line executes:
[code]If $processblock <> '' Then _Block()[/code]

If the above line has processes listed, then it will call this function and add each process into the Image File Execution Options registry key.
[code]Func _Block()
Dim $processblock
If $processblock <> '' Then
Local $key = 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options'
If @Compiled Then
Local $command = '"' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /dummy'
Else
Local $command = '"' & @AutoItExe & '" "' & @ScriptFullPath & '" /dummy'
EndIf
If StringInStr($processblock, '|') Then
$processarray = StringSplit($processblock, '|')
For $i = 1 To $processarray[0]
RegWrite($key & '\' & $processarray[$i], 'debugger','Reg_sz', $command)
Next
Else
RegWrite($key & '\' & $processblock, 'debugger','Reg_sz', $command)
EndIf
EndIf
EndFunc[/code]

Blocked Processes will execute the AutoIt script with the /dummy switch and that script execution will immediately exit. This line exits if /dummy switch s used:
[code]; Exit if executed a 2nd time by blocked process.
If StringInStr($cmdlineraw, '/dummy') Then Exit[/code]

Picasa should install silently without annoying processes. Once the script exits, it will call the inbuilt Autoit function OnAutoItExit. OnAutoItExit will remove the registry entries that were added previously.
[code]Func OnAutoItExit()
Dim $processblock
If $processblock <> '' Then
Local $key = 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options'
If StringInStr($processblock, '|') Then
$processarray = StringSplit($processblock, '|')
For $i = 1 To $processarray[0]
If RegDelete($key & '\' & $processarray[$i]) <> 1 Then
MsgBox(0 + 16, 'Error', 'Registry key for ' & $processarray[$i] & ' still exists', 2)
EndIf
Next
Else
If RegDelete($key & '\' & $processblock) <> 1 Then
MsgBox(0 + 16, 'Error', 'Registry key for ' & $processblock & ' still exists', 2)
EndIf
EndIf
EndIf
EndFunc[/code]

Full script attached.
[attachment=8902:attachment]

Using Adlib or OnAutoItExit would perhaps be my usual method to close these processes, but I find AutoIt is quite flexible as to problems so methods may vary.
[/quote]

how do u use this script..i used autoit and compiled it .. i put it with the picasa instalation file.. and nothing happend ..

plizz help

[quote name='Avneet' post='491807' date='Apr 10 2006, 08:12 AM']how do u use this script..i used autoit and compiled it .. i put it with the picasa instalation file.. and nothing happend ..

plizz help[/quote]
Ensure that you have renamed the Picasa installer to the name used in the script or change the name in the script to the same as the installer.
[quote]; Installer.
$executable = 'Picasa v2.exe'[/quote]
I have updated that previous post of mine with an up to date script. Please try it instead.
Do not name your compiled script to similar name as the installer else you may just execute the script itself. I add a underscore infront of compiled script filenames as you can keep a similar filename but the underscore prevents accidental execution of the script itself.
The 2 files need to be within the same directory as the script is setup for it.
You only need to execute the AutoIt script and it will handle the installation of Picasa for you.