Wanting to upgrade to XP

darkelf_gazza

Hiya.

I'm currently running Windows 98SE, but I'm thinking it's about time I upgraded to XP.

I've had installed before, but I must have gotten the Blaster worm or something, it kept giving me the "Your computer will shut down in 1 minute" dialogue, and I got fed up with it so just formatted and popped Win 98 back on.

But anyway, I use all the antivirus and firewall stuff now, so that should be far less of an issue now (hopefully. My Windows XP knowledge is very lacking)

So I was looking at this site browsing through threads and I've noticed all these things about tweaking etc, and multiple partitions on varied hard drives.

So what would I be looking to do if I were to upgrade? I know about disabling Windows Messenger, and msconfig and all that from over at FileSharingTalk.

My current plan is to put in an old 3gb hard drive I've got lying around somewhere, and install XP onto that. Then hook up my 40gb hard drive as the slave and format that into NTFS or whatever it is XP uses.

But after that what would you recommend I do?

Sorry if I'm being a pest, but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you.

Hiya.

I'm currently running Windows 98SE, but I'm thinking it's about time I upgraded to XP.

I've had installed before, but I must have gotten the Blaster worm or something, it kept giving me the "Your computer will shut down in 1 minute" dialogue, and I got fed up with it so just formatted and popped Win 98 back on.

But anyway, I use all the antivirus and firewall stuff now, so that should be far less of an issue now (hopefully. My Windows XP knowledge is very lacking)

So I was looking at this site browsing through threads and I've noticed all these things about tweaking etc, and multiple partitions on varied hard drives.

So what would I be looking to do if I were to upgrade? I know about disabling Windows Messenger, and msconfig and all that from over at FileSharingTalk.

My current plan is to put in an old 3gb hard drive I've got lying around somewhere, and install XP onto that. Then hook up my 40gb hard drive as the slave and format that into NTFS or whatever it is XP uses.

But after that what would you recommend I do?

Sorry if I'm being a pest, but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you.

you can split the 40 gig to C: 10 and D: 30 or leave it 40. but true a 3 gig is to small, to slow (probally pio mode 3?)

i recommend free sygate firewall and download the critical hoftixes and create a new XPcd with all hotfixes included. so u cant get a blaster or virus again....

to make a xpcd with all critical hotfixes and SP i recommend xpcreate