Once again SP2 => Sorry

shortie

I don't see a reason why SP2 would not work with XPCreate, but because it is not officially released yet (and won't be for a few months), it's too much work to support it. That would mean maintaining at least two sets of lists for every language, plus adding logic to check which version of the SP2 RC the user has, and then deciding what updates that RC does or does not have already.

Waaaaaaaaaaay too much work for no benefit, and lots of time involved...

(fictional conversation):

user: the update list missed 2 critical updates.

gm: no, SP2 should include those updates

user: nope

gm: you sure?

user: yeah. I installed SP2 RC 654432231A and it doesn't have it.

gm: there is a SP2 RC 654432232A out now.

user: oh.

gm: but that release stops your mouse from working, so you'll need to apply Q654823 if you're using RC654432232A, unless you're running XP Home with more than 512mb of ram. They should fix that bug in RC65443235C.

user:This is too confusing. Why didn't you just support SP1 + standard updates?

... heh.

-J

by god....

just set DLAUTO=NO in the ini file, download SP2 yourself, and put it in the SPACKS folder. After that, remove all updates. Add what you want.

**You have any problems, don't come here complaining some update didn't apply. Use at your own risk**

@Virindi

Instead of supporting SP2 (till released anyways), just give this. It's alot simpler and then clears your hands :)

I was pretty excited when I heard about the beta release of SP2, and jumped on it, had it in within hours.

To be honest, it's a giant pain. The security center was disabled that day. Suddenly I am logging in to sites and giving my password more than I am actually looking at the sites. Two in particular, I'm ready to quit the site as I repeatedly give my password for every page I click to.

The Windows Updates page hangs, and by default with the beta I have an icon on the desktop to 'Report a Bug'. When I told them about the Updates page, they sent a reply as if I had no idea this was a beta package and treated me like a chimp.

I'm sure we're all speechless that so far, they've fumbled the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

vacation I"m betting will be last. News form the grapevine points to a Aug, 10th RTW. BUt on the bright side, when that does come out, ALOT of the hotfix problems of late will become a mute point :woot: