Auto Arrange Desktop Icons Setting?

I was hoping to report back with positive results as far as icon positioning goes but alas, due to unrelated problems with my latest unattended CD, I never made it to first logon. *shrug*. Not sure where the problem lies but I suspect the ISO I was testing was corrupted in some way. Didn't get any errors, just hung during the reboot after setup. :)

I sure hope these tweaks work or there are going to be some people p***ed off at me. :rolleyes:

Just what I need. Thanks...

So if I put this in my regTweaks.reg file

;Auto Arrange off, Align to Grid off:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop]

"FFlags"=dword:00000220

Then my icons will not align to grid. Am I right?

;Auto Arrange off, Align to Grid off:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop]

"FFlags"=dword:00000220

it doesn't work on my pc.

The icons are still align to grid????

At the time I hadn't tested these settings. I finally got finished with my latest unattended CD but my desktop icon settings didn't work either. I imported mine from cmdlines text (t-13) but I have a sneaking suspicion that these settings are being overwritten sometime between t-9 and t-2; when Setup is 'Saving settings'.

I've been fooling around with a RunOnce entry in HKLM that imports the icon settings into the registry. A basic test from within windows worked. It seems that the HKLM RunOnce is a good time to 'sneak' these settings in before explorer fully loads. However, it didn't work during first logon of my unattended CD. I'm going to try it during the second logon and see what happens. I've got a couple of other untested approaches to try as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Importing my Icon arrangement settings from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]

on the second logon worked in case anyone is interested.

I placed a self-deleting batch file in my startup folder which set a value in RunOnce at first logon. The runonce entry imported my icon.reg at second logon. It just wouldn't work during first logon. *shrug*

You might also be interested in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=23512&st=0

I've switched to using a customized ntuser.dat file which is much easier when it comes to custom desktop/explorer settings.

I used a different method than what is outlined in that thread however. Once I installed my unattended installation into vmware (or virtual pc), I set all of my icons, taskbar, explorer settings (basically any HKCU settings), and then logged out and back in as a different administrative *user. I then copied the ntuser.dat file in Documents and settings\user name to $OEM$\$Docs\Default User\ for my CD.

* you have to be logged in as another user because windows won't allow you to copy ntuser.dat for the currently logged in user since it is in use.

Windows will use the Default User\NTUSER.DAT for all new accounts so your settings will be in place at first logon.

• 3 months later...

jrzycrim,

Your last solution, dated Aug 8, 2004, really rocks...!

I had been trying for ages to get my icons and other settings customized, and had even been using the Files and Settings transfer Wizard to accomplish this, but it wasn't as beautiful and simple a solution as yours.

I am very grateful... Thanks again!

:thumbup

• 1 month later...
Importing my Icon arrangement settings from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]

on the second logon worked in case anyone is interested.

I placed a self-deleting batch file in my startup folder which set a value in RunOnce at first logon. The runonce entry imported my icon.reg at second logon. It just wouldn't work during first logon. *shrug*

Any chance of a sample of your batch & where you placed it to allow the startup to execute for second logon? :thumbup

WOW WOW WOW! I much more love the idea to edit the ntuser.dat file. It is SO EASY! I never would of thought of doing that! Thank you so much jrzycrim now my unattended install cd IS COMPLETE AND PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup

THANKS AGAIN.... to everyone! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello i just figured out how to fix it myself with a little more experimentation.

This is run once

@Echo Off

SET PP=%SystemDrive%\Install\

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing programs" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Installing Registry Tweaks" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%PP%desktop.reg" /f

EXIT

And here is the desktop.reg file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
"FFlags"=dword:00000224
"Sort"=dword:00000001

The desktop.reg file has to be in the C:\install\ folder for it to excute according to the way it is shown there.