best router for security

hi im curious about this, im about to purchase one but im doing some reasearch on it first, i know i can buy one for around 50 bucks, but does any body know whats the best router to use for security reasons and stuff for a reasonable price,, does any body else use a router for security reasons, i read that its the best way to make a pc secure as well as hook up multiple pcs,,

You didnt give us the model of that router for 50 bucks, but lets say D-Link 604, thats a leightweight one and to be honest it will protect you as good as one for 100 bucks. All routers out there blocks everything from the outside, for example you wont get sasser if you are behind a router unless another computer on your LAN is infected.

So basically a router stops every attemt to connect to your LAN. Lets say your external IP is 754.174.132.222 (that one doesnt exist i know :) ) you have two computers in your LAN, 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4. In about a few seconds your router will log attemts from some source trying to connect thru port 445, but your router will diss this attemt because it doesnt know which one of your two computers it gonna send it to. This wont affect your browsing or something since the router is a smart a** and know somehow what to let thru... :D So what if you wanna run an FTP-server or anything like that? No problem, something called "Port Forwarding" and sometimes "Virtual Server Configuration" will do the thing. This feature let you configure for example incoming connection on port 21 to be accepted and forwarded to the IP on your LAN u specify, 192.168.0.3 maybe? read your router-manual

BUT! a router is not enough tho trojans and other s*** out there can scan your router from the outside and tunneling thru an open port, so a software-firewall + router will do the thing. Mainly all software-firewalls have something so briliant as "Application DLL Authentication" and "Application-Based Intrusion Detection System", those features will let you know when a program tries to open a connection. Lets say you open your browser (hopefully one of those who cant handle activex...) the software-based firewall will promt you to accept or deny connection to THA INTERNET! and it can also remember what program you accepted or denied connections for :rolleyes:

Thats the basics

Hopefully you understand my poor english :D

//phiber0ptik

@Lost Soul heres what i'm using, I don"t know if it's what you need

Symantec™ Firewall/VPN 200R

they have these as well

Symantec™ Gateway Security 300 Series

Symantec™ Firewall/VPN 100

Symantec™ Firewall/VPN 200

Hope this helps

i use the 604, i dont have any problems with it. my friend uses a lynksis, and he has problem with some of the features that run perfectly on my di-604. i havent has a single problem, except when some idiots at school pinged my ip to death.

i use the 604, i dont have any problems with it.  my friend uses a lynksis, and he has problem with some of the features that run perfectly on my di-604.  i havent has a single problem, except when some idiots at school pinged my ip to death.

Are you talking about me with the Linksys router? I have two of them, one wired, and one wireless/wired... No problems... :)

If anyone's interested, I have the BEFSR81 and the BEFW11S4 V2/V3.

If you have a spare low-spec box lying around, I'd install a linux firewall distro on it. I've stuck by it for almost a year now and will never switch to a hardware router with all the horror stories I've read up about them freezing randomly or because its made too many connections. :)

i use the 604, i dont have any problems with it.  my friend uses a lynksis, and he has problem with some of the features that run perfectly on my di-604.  i havent has a single problem, except when some idiots at school pinged my ip to death.

Are you talking about me with the Linksys router? I have two of them, one wired, and one wireless/wired... No problems... :)

yea, ur wired one, problems with static ip

Are you talking about me with the Linksys router? I have two of them, one wired, and one wireless/wired... No problems... :rolleyes:

yea, ur wired one, problems with static ip

My wired one acts like a router, not a gateway, and my DHCP server is setup on my wireless/wired one. The only problem I have with my DHCP server is that when the power gets turned off, everything gets reset, so I have to turn on the computers in the order of their IP addresses! :)

(BTW, sven, come play CS...)

Build one yourself out of old hardware; www.ipcop.org

I've built and deployed about 20; its free, and brilliant. The new version [1.4] is in beta and has traffic shaping as well. Have run 100+ system network on a frame relay connection using a reclaimed PIII with a 10Gb hdd and 128MB RAM. [built from parts] My personal network of 8 systems is behind one with a K6-III/450 driving it, with 64MB ram and 4 GB hdd. Excellent.

Cheers,

PHB.

• 4 weeks later...