Delay Time from Dial-up or Satellite ?

Hi all

I have Internet Via Satellite

Using Dial-up as a Send , Receving with Satellite ( Using VPN Connection )

Some times the Connection be Comes 2 Slow & the Ping giving Me High Delay Time over 1000MS ( I am Pinging www.google.com coz their Server is Too Fast )

I want a Software or a trick 2 know Is the Delay From Dial-up & VPN ???

thanks

The delay is almost certainly from the dial-up. However, satellite systems can be slowed down by the weather, poor dish positioning, etc...

I'd have your ISP send a tech out and do a check. They can see if your reception is OK or not.

The delay is from both. With one-way satellite the "click" you send is transmitted via the modem connection, and the results are routed back to you via the satellite.

The satellite leg, on a good day, will have around 300ms delay each way -> this is because the satellite is about 26,000 K's away [roughly - depending on the satellite] As mentioned, bad weather can impact on this, as can excessive signal from other sources - being near a digital TV broadcast tower, for example, will kill a satellite connections. Wind, rain, etc, will do the same, but to a lesser extent.

Areas with high temperature variation also get slower speeds on satellite usually. This isn't b/c of the temperature as such, but because the mounts that the dishes are on expand and contract minutely, taking the dish out of "ideal" alignment over time, and lowering the throughput.

Also, keep in mind that satellites experience varying degrees of 'drift', so even if your dish is aligned 100%, the bird might have moved maringally. These movements are generally corrected for pretty rapidly though, and aren't a common problem.

Your best test to find out would be to use traceroute to see where to lag is for the site your wanting to check out. This will tell you where the lag is. Also, check the connection speed on the modem - though, unless your uploading, this shouldn't have a significant impact as you're only sending clicks.

Cheers,

PHB.

Yeah, to an extent, cos frequency may have something to do with it, and so does the actual satellite's orbit... they're all a bit different...

I used to work for a 2 way sat. provider, so I know the delay times. In general browsing its not really noticable, but kills gaming. Not a problem generally for downloads and stuff.

It was awesome the first time I saw a 2MB link in the middle of a desert, running of a lappie and a generator :-)

Cheers,

PHB.

Gaming on any connection that uses dialup will always suck. Ping over 250 will make most FPS style games unplayable. 500+ will make almost any real time game a nightmare. But over 1000 is just plain crazy. The only time I've seen lag like that was on a really bad dialup.