Building a Windows Media Center PC..

xsayun

Hey guys, I have a gaming level pc, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to install windows media center edition on it? Could I some how have it set up like a tivo and such? Maybe with a TV Tuner card? Would I lose any functionality (as in running programs, playing games, doing photoshop, visual studio, office... etc)?

Is it even worth buying the extra tuner, remote... etc?

My system specs are as follows:

AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+

ASUS A7N8X v2 Motherboard

512mb DDR Ram 400mhz

35gb HD (Soon to change)

ATI Radeon 9700

Planning on getting an ATI TV Wonder Card, as they are only $30 at bestbuy right now...

Any feedback on how I could go about doing this would be wonderful. TIA.

I just wish they'd allow you to have the "media center" segments of the operating system be just one program. That way you could buy the extra parts and install the software and go that route instead of being limited to the media center operating system. I'm not sure if that is Xp Pro with the media center addons or if it's Xp Home with the media center addons :)

As of right now it is pro, but they are trying to reduce the cost of it for OEM's so they are in the process of moving to Home. Also there is a rumor that in the future you might be able to buy MCE as a standalone OS.

Well I have access to a copy of it, I just havent installed it or anything yet. I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into, since I have my WindowsXP Pro system running very smoothly and skinned to my liking...

Anyone who can contribute information to be would be gladly appreciated, and I will have a guide setup for those who'd like to work with me in making your own media center PC. Feel free to email me, and there's also a gmail account up for grabs in exchange for help! =)

Well I have access to a copy of it, I just havent installed it or anything yet.  I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into, since I have my WindowsXP Pro system running very smoothly and skinned to my liking...

Where did you get this copy? As I'd like to have one too!

Windows XP Media center is windows xp pro with media centre componets also winodows xp media centre cannot be bought off the self or thought oem's. having media centre is ok but you will not be able to get drivers for tv cards etc.

So what exactly can I do with media center? I'm planning to move into a college dorm room by this september, and so far what I'm thinking it could be used for is VCR/TV, easy video/pictures/music access by remote, etc... What else is so special about it?