Is CRT or LCD better for gaming?

vercetti_1765

?????

well crt is not good nor bad. its simple bigger than lcd.

1 thing I know is the brightness difference in which u can change..

so there is not much difference except the prices in my opinion...

I'll post another reply when I have something to back this up but...

Last I heard, CRT is better simply because it can react faster than LCD. There's something called the "Pixel response time" with LCDs that makes it so that images can't change as quickly as they can in a CRT. This is because (and again, going just on what I remember) there is a slight delay when an LCD refreshes its pixels, while in the CRT, they are only defined by the speed of the electron gun.

As an example, if you have a CRT, when you close a window, there is no window there anymore (unless it freezes... :) ). I'm on an LCD right now, and if I close a window, there's a ghost of that window that remains for a fraction of a second after. In games this could translate to imposing a maximum framerate, which as we all know would be BAD.

hmm my only guess would be u have a pretty bad lcd.

i've dell lcd and i don't have a slight problem like that. also if u believe u see those ghost things, if u have nvidia graphics card, enable the desktop manager...

and pixel response time? hmm can it be refresh rate? if so lcd's have higher values as well.. depends on screen resolution as well...

You should also look for a monitor with a low pixel response time, which is the number of milliseconds it takes for the pixel on the screen to change for the next image. The lower this number, the faster the screen will refresh and reduce display ghosting. Ghosting occurs when the monitor's refresh rate cannot keep up with the information fed from the computer. The monitor doesn't have enough time to remove one image from the screen before it can draw the next. Basically it looks like one image displayed on top of another, like double-exposed film.

and yes, I'm using an older LCD monitor (good ol' university), but you will most likely only see ghosting at higher framerates with a higher quality monitor...they will still be there though.

And refresh rate is something LCDs don't have to deal with, they can address each pixel individually, so they don't "refresh" they just change the pixels that need to be changed.

Edit: When, in the quote above, they refer to refresh rate, they mean the refresh rate of an individual pixel.

Aren't LCDs also fixed resolution? Meaning you are stuck playing your games at that resolution. Also if your LCD runs at 1024x768 and you have a game that only runs at 800x600, you will have to play it in a window with black borders all around it.

Some of the better LCDs run at multiple resolutions...without black borders.

And as far as using a resolution that's lower than the "native" resolution, you can enable display expansion on most of them, but it looks all pixel-y.

Aren't LCDs also fixed resolution? Meaning you are stuck playing your games at that resolution. Also if your LCD runs at 1024x768 and you have a game that only runs at 800x600, you will have to play it in a window with black borders all around it.

Many LCDs will change resolution, but with the price that everything becomes kind of blurry.

if you're willing to spend about on average 200-300 dollars more for a LCD then a CRT, then there is little difference.

If you get a LCD with a contrast ratio of 400:1 or greater, a response time of about 15ms or so (no more then 20 max) and resolution of 1280*1068 you'll have no problems. Its the response time that creates the ghosting, and the lower rate, the less you'll notice.

Most LCDs will expanded the image, but keep in mind the native resolution plays a big part. WHen you go to a lower resolution, its creates it so each individual pixel is expanded to cover more to make up for the resolution.

But if you spend the money, you'll be fine. Try to find an NEC, they usually don't lie about their specs.

I've heard LCD's do refresh - And that they dont just change the colour of each pixel when they need to.

This only came up in a convo in #xbox-linux - So if anyone can clear it up (and/or) tell me im completely wrong/wright? :)

Cheers, Chris.