Windows 2K Security Updates

Bilou_Gateux

Ok have a few ? since i'm new to the 2000

My friend a reseller bought 10 Win 2000 pro machines with COA's and wanted me to fix up his CD with all the updates so he can load them.

1. I saved the XPCTHLST.TXT to root XPCREATE dir

2. It wouldn't d/l the files or either I misunderstand. Can't make it do it so I just modded the XPCTHLST into a .cmd file with DOWNLOAD.EXE -download http yada yada to the correct dir's and saving them shortfile name. Like C:\XPCREATE\SVC-DAH\832483.exe

Is that all I need to do? It will be an attended since he has to put the COA's in when he install's them to the pc's.

Do I edit the XPCTHLST.TXT to reflect the shortnames or should I have left them longname?

Appreciate any help

@GM

How to "integrate" (that's not really true) the OE recommended update 887797 into 2KCreate.

As mentionned before, 887797 (Type 1 HotFix) must be installed after 823353 (Type 2 HotFix).

In my first attempt, i have simply added 887797 in SVC-HF1, build a 2KCreate CD The 4 files from 887797 were compressed and copied in i386 during the 2KCreate build process and SVCPACK.INF modified accordingly.

But using this method, install hangs during the file copy: 823353 when executed from SVCPACK.INF try to owerwrite newer files from 887797 integrated to the i386 source and already run before from SVCPACK.INF.

Here come the solution:

Edit SVCPACK.INF stored in NEWFILES folder, change the order of execution to put 887797.EXE just after 823353.EXE, recompress to i386 SVCPACK.IN_

Overwrites the updated 4 files from 887797 2KCreate copy compressed in i386 folder with the 4 original files from your 2K source CD.

Now you can install a full patched Win2K CD without hangs.

Until GreenMachine reworks the XPCreate code to solve the 887797 problem and the 841356 problem, 2Kcreate is no longer without user interaction and you must do some manual modifications before creating the ISO and burn it.

These problems were first introduced since Microsoft take the decision to release hotfixes type 1 to update dlls from components (IE6) thats are not included in the original 2K Gold version.

Each new security hotfix will probably create news problems and give GM more works to find a clean solution.

@maxXPsoft

the list isn't yet updated and the download link is down.

i will update it soon.

Yes, i have used a similar method than the one your suggest to download all the Hotfixes and put them in the SVC-XXX folders.

Using the "download before" method you need to have nethertheless an active Internet connection during 2Kcreate build process to download IE6SETUP.EXE and components.

And you have to build your own DirectX9c package or use DX9NTOPK.EXE (9b) package.

Use Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to download all hotfixes using XPCTHLST.TXT.

To install 2K full unattended, i use a basic WINNT.SIF and modify SETUPPP.INI to turn the product into Corporate version (no need to use Product Key for installation)

I turn the HOTFIXES in their 8.3 shortname for readability for all the HF's (HF2, POS,DAH, some HF1 starting with IE6.0SP1) except for HF1 starting with Windows2000... 2KCreate renames them in their short name automatically

@GM

I will ask you to make a very little modification in you code for the next version to turn the IE6 download feature (ALWAYS YES if IE6SP1 not found locally) to selectable through XPCREATE.INI.

SET GETIE6=YES
.../...
IF NOT "%GETIE6%"=="YES" GOTO EOF

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

@Bilou, I updated the IE6 slipstream with an altered but similar method. Link

I'm sure if you try it out to build a package and then overwrite the w2k source, you can slipstreeam away using XPcreate. I verified the batch file last night and all works great. In any event, it sounds like you are in the same boat that I was in a few months ago with the october 12th hotfixes. However, for me it's nice have only one file in the svcpack folder now along with all the updated binaries in the i386 folder. Zero critical updates for me currently. It really speeds up my installation too.

Thanks tommyp.

I'm currently use the standard 2KCreate method to help other 2K users to build a full patched CD without altering some DLL's.

yes it seems that 2K install faster when WFP is not active using fdv modified DLL's.

and the source directory becomes smaller using IE6 slipstreamed to source instead of 2K IE5 original files + IE6 package + numerous fixes.

First page updated

You can now find here

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) detailled infos, downloads, and issues.

@to all happy fews still using the best ever released version of Windows by M$

I will try to summarize all the problems encountered to create a 2K CD with 2KCreate current version from these 8 pages.

see on first page.

And i'm currently working of a kind of RyanVM pack for Windows 2000 SP4 HotFixes (only the Hotfixes starting with Windows2000-KBxxxxxx-x86-xxx.exe in SVC-HF1 folder). Not decided of his name at the moment.

Create a single package for others components (MDAC, IE6, OE6, ...) isn't planned but will try to use tommyp altered but similar method to update the source.

I will probably definitively switch to tommyp method in 2005.

@BaTLeZone

• What is the best choice for MSXML3. As it's a msi package, i'm not sure if we can install it from SVCPACK without first repackaging it.
  • Microsoft Calculator Plus (includes mathematical and conversion functions)
    It's not a critical update and isn't listed as recommended update in WindowsUpdate.
    Maybe you can add it like Journal viewer.

I'd like to point out that the Journal Viewer hotfix KB886179 installation doesn't work when installed from the folder SVC-X2M. I renamed it from JournalViewer1.5_KB886179_ENU.exe to KB886179.exe, it might have something to do with the issue as it doesn't even show up in svcpack.inf. I haven't looked into it further since I'm not even going to install it on my CD, just tried it out once out of interest. Maybe someone could explain why this happens.

Thanks.

I'd like to point out that the Journal Viewer hotfix KB886179 installation doesn't work when installed from the folder SVC-X2M. I renamed it from JournalViewer1.5_KB886179_ENU.exe to KB886179.exe, it might have something to do with the issue as it doesn't even show up in svcpack.inf. I haven't looked into it further since I'm not even going to install it on my CD, just tried it out once out of interest. Maybe someone could explain why this happens.

Thanks.

Thanks for spending some time to discover this issue.

Journal viewer is M$ bloatware like MSN Messenger, Movie Maker, etc...

I don't know if someone really install it on his unattended CD.

I'm not concerned B) and will let Green Machine make some investigations to fix this problem.

Recommended Update

updated on October 15, 2003

Update for Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 (829558)

Download

Important: You must install the latest Jet update to keep your Jet database in good working condition.

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 Version 2.80.1022.3

• download details Date Published: August 4, 2003
    The MDAC 2.8 release installs the same Data Access core components as Microsoft Windows Server 2003.
    This release does not include Microsoft Jet, the Microsoft Jet OLE DB Provider, the Desktop Database Drivers ODBC Driver, or the Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver.
    ENU mdac_typ.exe
    DEU mdac_typ.exe
    FRA mdac_typ.exe
  • Silent install: MDAC_TYP.EXE /Q:A /R:N /C:"DASETUP.EXE /Q /N"

Ihave tried to install the latest version of MDAC through SVC-MDC but M$ has changed the update engine (now DASETUP.EXE, previous versions DAHOTFIX.EXE).

When i apply Q832483 Update in SVCPACK, WindowsUpdate do not recognize the HF as installed. MSXML3 SP5 is not applied over MSXML3 SP3 (included in IE6SP1)

The version installed is MSXML3 SP4 (included in MDAC 2.8).

• 2 weeks later...