very restrictive user permissions in XP Pro?

shapeless

I'm trying to make a username/profile on a computer that will only let the user run the applications which are on the desktop, restart, or shutdown. is this possible with winxp PRO, or would i need an extra program to allow me to do this? thanks for information

I'm trying to make a username/profile on a computer that will only let the user run the applications which are on the desktop, restart, or shutdown. is this possible with winxp PRO, or would i need an extra program to allow me to do this? thanks for information

Hello!

Yes there is. You can use the Group Policy Editor to accomplish that task. Just type out gpedit.msc in the run box. It has alot of settings in there so be careful.

To make restrictions to a user or group you need Windows Server 2000 or 2003 and create a domain in which you could configure these restrictions with Active Directory. But if you only have Windows XP Pro without a Windows Server domain, I don't think there is a solution.

Wait for other reply in this topic, maybe someone know a possibility, but don't expect too much. XP Pro is supposed to be a client of Windows Server (with all these possibilities) and as a standalone workstation these features cannot be configure.

:)

ok, ive been reading about this kind of thing about an hour ago and yeah a domain environment with win2003 server would be ideal.

but this situation can't be too unique. im the admin of the PC, but its a gaming PC, sometimes i would like to let other people logon to my PC using a gamer account and only be able to play certain games that i put on the desktop for them. thats all im trying to do basically.

If you go into any folder, and use "Tools -> Folder Options -> View and remove an eventual checkmark on the 'Use simple file sharing" mark and click OK, you can to a high degree control what users are allowed and not allowed to access.

However, configuring it properly takes time, and is a little advanced, but you'll probably figure it out. You'll for instance want them not being able to access your drives, yet be able to access files inside them. This is possible with some (as you'll be turning off) advanced file sharing. (You'll have a Security tab on all folders, files, drives, etc. then, where you can set exact privileges)