Remote Desktop

aresgodofwar

i am having problems connecting to my home computer from work. this has worked several times previously, but now its not working. i bring up my client, put in the relevant info, and it appears to connect, sends username, password and says its loading personal settings. then i get a blue screen, then the client dies. i have tried this from another computer on my home network and same is true.

please help me!!

i am having problems connecting to my home computer from work. this has worked several times previously, but now its not working. i bring up my client, put in the relevant info, and it appears to connect, sends username, password and says its loading personal settings. then i get a blue screen, then the client dies. i have tried this from another computer on my home network and same is true.

please help me!!

I use remote desktop all the time & works like a charm. Did something @ work change. Have you tried connecting from Work to home to see if it works. The problem most likey is the work computer. Clean out your temps in your Local settings folder. If your profile is too big it will cause headaches.

its not a bsod, just a blue screen. it sits there for a second, the it "crashes".

nothing changed at work or at home.

i know its making a connection because if i try to connect when someone is logged on, it tells me that and i can click yes to log them off. i have tried disabling, re-enabling remote desktop, that didn't work. i guess i could try reinstalling the client on my work computer, but what i really need to get is some sort of log file to look at. is there a log file stored on the computer that you remote into?

Hi Folks,

I know this is not the answer you were looking for but remote desktop

is about as half as good as virtual network computing (vnc)!

VNC is tiny and can be run from a floppy disk, i have never experienced any drag

with it unlike reeemmmoooote desktop.

Its free and is one of the best apps i have.

get it here...

www.realvnc.com

C.B

If you're worried about security, though, then you may not want VNC, as it has (or had) some security holes--we dropped it at work in favor of remote desktop for that reason. (As if m$ doesn't have security holes, but that's another thread entirely). On the other hand, Curv Boll is right, VNC is incredibly fast, and I've never had a problem connecting with it.

Thanks Phyridean,

VNC does have different ports, 5800 if i remember correctly.

Im not sure what security issues you had Phyridean but all data across the wire with vnc is supposed to be encrypted and as long as the ports are tied down i would have thought it plenty safe to use.

Each to own opinion though

Later

C.B

OK I was wrong...I guess that was an issue 2 years ago, but it appears to have been fixed...

On the realVNC FAQ, (VNC FAQ) if you click on "Is VNC secure", and look at that and the topic below it on firewalls, you should have no trouble at all...

Happy...um...remoting :)

Just FYI, there's not just www.realvnc.com either...

Ultra VNC

TridiaVNC

And a host of others...you can google "VNC" to find them

I've used realVNC and TridiaVNC, and found both of them to be feature rich, but if there's a specific thing you're looking for, you may be able to find a VNC that supports it.