Registry edits not applying unless run at 2nd boot

I'm wondering if anyone else is having these problems...

I'm using Windows XP SP2 RC2, and some of my registry edits are being overwritten after RunOnceEx is complete.

2 examples of these registry edits are "Removing IE and OE icons from the start menu" and "Removing links folder from Favorites menu".

To make my problem clear, here is my current setup:

Install Windows...

Registry edits are executed at RunOnceEx after first boot (like usual). Some registry edits are being overwritten once the shell loads.

Registry edits are executed AGAIN at RunOnceEx after 2nd boot. The registry edits seem to stick.

This confuses me but I my workaround works fine for me. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having any problems.

to do a true remove links folder, you must do this...

;Disable links folder in explorer favorites so it never appears again.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
"LinksFolderName"=-
"LinksFolderName"=""
"Locked"=dword:00000001

I dunno why, but for some reason you have to actually delete the reg key for linksfoldername, then rename it, then lock it...dont ask me, cuz I dunno, this just works for me...you will have to physically delete the links folder also. I use a cleanup.bat at the end of runonceex.cmd that does a bunch of stuff, but this is where I remove the links folder...

RD /S /Q "%USERPROFILE%\Favorites\Links"

Also, since the links folder is an HKCU, you must do it before runonceex, i use cmdlines.txt. the same may be true for removing the shortcuts...if its HKCU, it should be run at cmdlines

im having a similar problem like rave, except not with the links.

i dont remove the links.

but a LOT of the registry entries i apply in cmdlines.txt which DEFINITELY worked when i had only SP1a slipstreamed, are now not working with SP2. one which i remember off the top of my head is the winzip registration entries. lots of others too. anyone had a similar problem?

danish