questions of interest

hi well im not really sure if this is the right place to post this question but here it goes , so far i know sp2 is comming out very soon. and i know its going to fix a few bug issues and possibly make things run smoother but not to sound ignorant on the subject but whats the best combination to updateing to sp2 when its out ive read that it will only instal if you have

it may only be installed on systems that have Windows XP RTM with SP1, SP2 RC1 build 2082, or SP2 RC2 build 2149 installed
now what is RC1 or RC2 exactly ?
If you have an older build of SP2 installed, you will not be able to install this new build. This new build of SP2 will bring us one step closer to RTM.

now what exactly is RTM ?

pls dont flame me for my ignorance on the subject im still learning just like the next guy :)

rc = release candidate, u can refer it as pre release of rtm which is the latest release thats not in alpha or beta stage and is released to public.

by "older build" they mean that pre releases of sp2. rc1 was sp2 build 2082 as u mentioned and rc2 was 2149.

they're just versions of programs, like every software has, even xplode nlite has versions :)

If you click Start | Run and type winver and press return it will produce a dialog box on the screen containing the versionof windows you have installed.

Admit I may be wrong on this, but it normally shows someting akin to =>

Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.........................)

This may show what Release Candidtae of XP you have currently installed.

If it doesn't help, sorry, just thought it might.

RTM = Release to Manufacturing (i.e., public availability of product).

RTM a.k.a. (also known as) : gold, final release, retail, etc.

RC = Release Candidate (i.e., it is thought to be stable enough as to need just a few bug-fixes before shipping it - no major modifications will happen between an RC and an RTM).

since SP2 is a major change to XP, lots of beta (testing builds) versions were released over the past 1.5 years in this order (which lists only the big-publicity ones):

beta 11xx

beta 1213

beta 2055

RC 1 (build 2096)

RC 2 (build 2149)

The line you have in quotes above means (in common terms):

Do not expect this build of SP2 to install/run-stably on machines already running beta versions of SP2
Does it set the whole thing straight enough? Anymore clarifications?